Through the wall skimmer on an Intex

I did mine last season without dropping the water level -- in other words, I got a little wet! But by using silicone sealant on the outside gasket (mine was a Hydro Tools) and basically assembling it in place as tight as I could before cutting the side of the pool, it can be done.

P.S. If you do it that way, don't forget to carefully re-tighten the screws after cutting ;-)

very carefully cut the butterfly gasket in half on your hayward skimmer so you have 2 gaskets, one for each side. Then place it where you want it on the outside of the pool and mark the holes with a sharpie. Then use a small phillips screwdriver to punch the holes in the liner. Mount the skimmer in place, tighten all the screws good, but not too tight.

Hook up your lines from the skimmer to the pump. Then grab an exacto knife and cut out the square in the liner in the skimmer opening.

No need to drain any water with this method, as loss will be very minimal.

No need to drop water level. I did similar as already stated, cut gasket in half, use a awl/punch in each screw hole one at a time, punch a hole, run in the screw. Hook up plumbing then starting a corner cut diagonally from one corner to the other, then repeat making an X in the skimmer mouth. After that use the skimmer mouth as a guide to trim the liner out of the skimmer opening.

I lost maybe 2 cups of water using this method.

While on the subject of through wall skimmer, has anybody run two pumps off one skimmer.
I have an intex 2650 salt system and I also have a separate pump I was thinking of using for a sprinkler.
Was wondering if the skimmer would support both.
They would only be running at the same time every now and then.

I didn't cut my butterfly gasket in half. I mounted the gasket and inside plate first, cut the liner, disassembled it and put the gasket in properly, buttoned it up. No leaks.

ezytedug.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My Hayward dyna-skim is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Can't wait! I'd like to do as Joshua did and install without cutting the gasket, but I don't want to drain the pool down to do it. I'll look it over and decide once I have it in hand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I'll need to clarify. Yes my water level was lower because I did the install prior to opening for the season. I also , as some know, did the PVC upgrade as well. Because of this , I lowered it to the inlet.

With that said, it made both mods very painless. To install without cutting the gasket, I held it in place on the outside of the pool where I wanted to mount it. I then took a sharpie marker and marked the inside corners of the gasket on the wall of the pool for reference and making sure to keep it as level as possible. No I didn't use a level, I eyeballed it. I did however check it and it wa level. ?

After making my reference, I popped the two top corner holes with a small Philips, then the bottom two corners. (I believe I popped these once I screwed the top two into the skimmer)

I then mounted the skimmer in place with the entire gasket on the outside, under the skimmer, in position and screwed those first four screws in place. Then popped the rest, of the holes. Took it apart and mounted it properly. Once mounted, I cut the liner making sure not to cut through the gasket.

I took it all apart, installed the gasket properly, and installed the skimmer and faceplate.

Piece of cake. You'll notice there are two types of screws, the rounded head are covered by that faceplate. Those obviously get installed first. Be sure to screw them down tightly or they will bow out the faceplate when tightening the outer screws.

Hope this helps, going off memory....

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.