Need advice on project.

Feb 14, 2014
Texas
Good evening,

My pool builder is giving me the option of finishing out the zero edge spa with either glass tile on the inner edge or black plaster inside the entire spa. The pool builder thinks the black plaster option is best since it will give a better negative edge. Thoughts? If I go black plaster in the spa but Tahoe blue in the pool will it look funny?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 380
I don't think a mismatch in color would be a problem...I've seen it in a couple pools and it's noticeable but didn't bother me. If he thinks plaster will give a smoother edge then maybe that's a better choice, though it really isn't that hard to get tile level either.

Thanks Met In The Sun,

To clarify the pool builder thinks the black plaster option will give the illusion of a "negative edge"'. It will appear as if water is falling over to the pool. He thinks the tile option will lose that effect.

I think it would look unique! I'm going to be watching this to see how it comes out!!!

Not sure if you would have more of an issue w/ discoloration of the black plaster at the waterline when the pumps aren't running....I personally would go with tile. As for plaster in a spa - if done properly, it won't be uncomfortably rough.

Thanks Savela. Wondering if I use tile on the inner most top edge will it seal water properly. I want to make sure the waterline is at the top part of spa. Pool builder said tile does not hold water properly but plaster does. Is he pulling my leg?

Not sure what is meant by 'won't hold water properly'. Maybe the waterline isn't as sharp? Not sure. As for having the waterline at the very top....when the pumps are off, the only way for that to happen is if the water is perfectly still...try filling a glass of water to the brim, hard to do....it'll be close though. I'm gonna guess that for a majority of the day, your main pump will push some water into the spa and overflow into the pool, if that's the case, tile would likely work just fine but I by no means am an expert, just thinking about the reality of a dark plaster and an inevitable waterline (however faint) after a few months, even with perfect chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am now at the stage where plaster begins. The plaster company is expressing concern with using plaster on the inside spa lip. The plaster company says it will crack and is recommending tile to be put there. Has anyone went with plaster on an inner edge like this? Part of me wonders if the plaster company just does not want to try to get the inner corners evenly plaster out.

Casey,

Plaster went on today and they acid wash tomorrow. I'll post pictures tomorrow. 36racin and Northrider23, I ended up going with midnight blue plaster mini pebble at the spa lip as I wanted to get the negative edge effect. This was a tough decision. Your spa looks great!

Updated pics. We are going to modify the deck to concrete stamp as we did not like the way the salt stain turned out. But we are enjoying the pool. Thanks to all that helped answer my questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 89

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.