Thinking about a SWG.

Sep 6, 2007
Mobile Alabama
I think I want one but the options are endless. I don't know a good one from a bad one. I see alot of good info on the Auto pilots and Gold lines but with just those two the options are quite overwhelming if you know nothing about them. If I could ask for some help on picking out the best one for me I would greatly appreciate the advice.

I have a 14x36 vinyl estimated at 23000 gals. I don't have anything fancy to turn on or off other than the circ pump and pool light. I would like to have the acid addition. Thanks for any help.

Stanton, I would go with the Auto Pilot. I have a couple of reasons for this, #1 is the Poolsean is a member here and can help you with most any issue you may encounter( he's a VP with Horner - the folks that make Auto Pilot) #2 The Hayward/ Goldline 'sense and dispense' for auto acid dispensing is new and I think there are probably some 'bugs' with it, you don't want your pool to be one of the 'guinea pigs' for their new system. This is probably some strange advice coming from me (as I'm a certified warranty person for the Goldline units) but I want you to have a 'trouble free' experience with your pool - and the Auto Pilot is a 'tried and true' unit, whereas the Goldline unit is pretty much untested.

However you decide, I hope you get to enjoy your pool all season! :party:

I really like AutoPilot units, they have some nice features that the others don't have. Notably the Digital and Total Control models have a cool text display that gives you error messages in English. However, there are a number of good brands that will all work well and several of them are significantly less expensive than AutoPilot.

If you are getting an automation system, the on/off remote control kind, not the measuring chemical levels kind, they often have a SWG that is designed to work with the automation system. There can often be a significant cost advantage when going with a SWG from the same company as the automation system.

If you just want a SWG without all the bells and whistles, then the Goldline, also known/labeled as Hayward and many other brands, has been around a while, and are hard to beat. They also have upline models, if you want all the extras.

After all, It's not rocket science. Salt plus the cell with applied voltage from the controller make chlorine. All the extra functions are just that, extra. Check for opinions of reliability with whatever brand you choose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.