Natural Gas connection for 400K Pool heater

Apr 21, 2014
Enola, PA
We are in the process of a new build, and are confused about what all is required for connecting Pool Heater to the gas meter. We have a 50ft run, I called the Gas company (UGI) and they said they would upgrade the meter to a medium flow, 2 lb meter, but we have to provide regulators before they would connect our house line back. He did not direct me to where I would purchase such a regulator, apparently I would need 2 regulators, one for house supply and one for the Pool heater.

Any one have any idea where to purchase this? also what should be size of the pipe that would run from meter to pool heater. we have a 400K raypak 406. we might add a fire pit later in the patio area and might have the pool heater line split for that connection.

Any help would be appreciated. Also if some one could point how/where to add the details to the signature, that would get me started on documenting the build for everyone to see. :)

For gas plumbing/runs/regulators you really should hire a licensed master plumber with gas experience.

In most places that is required end of story, though in a few areas the homeowner can do the work themselves. However, getting gas plumbing even slightly wrong is extremely dangerous, and given the kinds of questions you are asking you don't know enough to be able to do it safely.

I will agree with Jason on this. The fact that you had to ask about the source for regulators tells me that you are in over your head on this part. While I am a big advocate of doing thing yourself, I also know where my limits are. Depending on your local codes, you may not even be able to purchase the regulators without a license. Most likely with that high of a line pressure a 1" line would be more than enough. If you have a gas fitter come in and do the job, he will most likely use a plastic line to run out to the pool. Again, this type of gas line normally requires a license to purchase and install.

Thanks for the response.
I apologize if I gave the wrong impression that I am trying to do it myself. I will never do something like that myself. I am trying to evaluate whether I want to pay the charges that natural gas company and their contractor is asking me ($500 for the medium pressure Gas meter) + Cost to run 50 ft (with trenching $1200, Trench provided is $900). Cost to run another line 50 ft to the fire pit (splice from the pool heater is another $1200 / $900) , Or have it done by another Licensed Plumber ( with Gas hookup to the pool heater experience before). Who is quoting me $500 + parts. So trying to make a decision on $2400 or ($500 + Parts.)

Had it been a difference of $200-300 I would not have even tried to find out. I am trying to see if it makes sense to hire the other guy and get the job done. I had not budgeted $2400 for this job.

Thanks Jason. I have everything else budgeted / planned except this part. If i had only one option I would bite the bullet and cut cost somewhere else, but because I have a choice it makes the decision all the more difficult. I found the approx. prices of everything else, pipe, filling, risers etc.. oh-- the lure of saving a thousand dollar..

I did a bunch of research on this. I wanted to do the runs and have a gas fitter inspect and do final hookups, they wouldn't do it.

Overall, I paid the following breakdown for my plumber (Trenching was already done)
Gas meter upgrade - Free
125 ft run to heater - $2100
Hookup to Firepit - 75 ft - $475
Hookup for grill - 20 ft - $375
3 tiki torches - 50 more feet - $450

In terms of materials, You're probably looking at:
2 regulators - $75-100 each
50 ft of 1/2" pipe to heater - $100 maybe
50 ft of 3/4" pipe (lower pressure most likely) to fire pit - $150?
Probably 4 risers (they bring the pipe out of the ground) - $100 each
If you need a tee - figure $150
Any odd valves or fittings - $10-15 each

Thanks for a detailed response. Helped me figure out if hiring the other guy is more cost beneficial. I am going with the other guy as he is certified and if I decide to move the line/ or add additional fire feature on the patio it would cost less than going with the gas company. This is a very helpful forum for ad-hoc questions. Now only if I can understand and memorize the pool school recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.