New to me house and pool - Thinking of converting to a SWG.

jborders5

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I just finished moving the family to AZ from CA and have a new to me house and pool. The water is a mess (TA and CYA are off the charts) and will be draining it this week when we have a couple of cooler days. I used 12% liquid chlorine in California and had a shop that carried returnable 4 packs 2 minutes away. I'm still searching to see what my options are here, but wonder if the pool would be a good candidate for salt? The coping is brick and the deck is slate tiles. There is a waterfall and I'm not sure what the stone is. The slate has some minor flaking and my concern is whether the salt will damage it more rapidly. Thanks for any advice.

20140312155041248714000000_o.jpg

Salt effects on stonework seem to center around the softer stones in and around TX, OK, etc.

Your tiles look harder than that but it's hard to say. Probably would be just fine but that's a guess and I'm not sure anyone could predict the outcome precisely. You could give it a shot and remove the SWG if you started to notice accelerated corrosion.

I converted to salt last summer. Awesome investment. I went with a pool pilot nano+. I think the cell is sized for 40k and with my pool being 17k, I only need to run it at 35% to keep up the chlorine level.

You can barely tell there is salt in the pool, 3000ppm is more like saline.

I installed it myself so the cost was minimal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.