The numbers

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
First full test on pool. As many of you know bought the house on short sale and pool not open or running in years. A month ago it was black, now it is cloudy. I have been adding in bleach. Tried the pool calc but I got a number way off the charts.

4.5 ppm fc
3 ppm cc
300 ta
7.5 ph
190 ch
35 cya.

It is a plaster pool water temp is 60 degress

thanks

A couple thoughts:

1) The TA test is prone to errors due to static electricity. Wipe the tip of the bottle with a damp paper towel between drops. If it did have a problem with static electricity, the drops would be smaller, which would mean more drops to get the same change, which would give an artificially high TA reading.
2) TA in itself is not harmful. You bathe in the same water, drink it, wash dishes in it. It's not critical and it's relatively easy to fix once the pool is clear. So don't sweat it.
3) Are you still dragging the bottom for leaves and muck? If the pool was black, I suspect there would have been a lot of sludge. It will burn up chlorine at an amazing rate, which slows the SLAM process.

Quick number test yesterday afternoon and this morning

yesterday was
fc = 19 ppm
cc = 1 ppm

This morning it is
fc = 12.5 ppm
cc = 0

Watewr is still cloudy and I still have vacuuming to do. But hopefully getting there

thanks everybody for all your help, it is greatly appreciated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still slamming
3ure4udy.jpg
javysy5y.jpg
za6ehety.jpg
8arymane.jpg

Good morning the water is still cloudy. I have still also been scooping some leaves from bottom. Have also been brushing a lot and vacuuming some.

I guess I keep SLAM-ing. here is a recent round of readings. Can CYA go down if no water is replaced? And is this length of time to get a clear pool normal? It has been looking better, but not there yet.

thanks

5/9
fc = 13 ppm
cc = 0

5/10
fc = 14.5 ppm
cc = 0
CYA = 20
ph = 7.5

5/11
FC = 11ppm
CC = 0
PH 7.5
CYA = 25
CH = 300

5/12

FC = 12.5 ppm
CC = 0

Your pics show a lot of improvement and it sure sounds like you are doing all the right things. I think it's time for some POP (pool Owner Patience). Your situation is not at all uncommon. Stay the course. Keep your FC up there just as you have been doing. Watch your filter psi to clean/backwash when necessary.

Your getting there and doing all things correctly as nearly as I can tell.

Thanks, I cleaned the cartridges this weekend as my newly purchased pressure gauge from here did show an increase from the normal 6-7 PSI up to 9. Plus I had no cleaned it all from the "black stage". I will be patient.

Laying another 3 pallets of brick this weekend for the pool patio

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.