pump, filter, leaf trap, configuration

vicsin

Sep 17, 2013
We have an Intex 9x18x52 Ultra Frame pool, also an upgraded 2500 gph cartridge filter. Thinking of upgrading the pump/filter again. My question has to do with the configuration of pumps and filters. It seems that from the suction side of the pool the water goes through the pump first then the filter and or leaf basket. This would make the dirty water go into the pump first. I would think you would want the water to go through the filtering system then into the pump. Why at least on mine does it suck the water straight into the pump without filtering it first. Are there any pump/filter systems that are configured to go to the filtering system first and then the pump. Is that not a good idea? Why, if not? My pool holds about 4500 gallons, any upgrade recommendations for pump/filters or is it not needed? Would like to be able to run vacuum using 25 feet of hose. Finally anyone know how powerful, (horsepower) that Intex 2500 gph cartridge type pump is? And how large the cartridge that goes with it is as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Can't answer the intex specific questions for you. As for the order, I'm pretty sure it's a matter of the strength of the flow. If the pump was after the filter, the system would be relying on suction to pull the water through the filter media, which just isn't going to happen.

Ideally there are two baskets/filters before the "dirty" water gets to the pump...one at the skimmer, and one at the pump. Anything small enough to get through those two baskets is small enough to make it through the impeller and be trapped by the filter.

The pump would be too powerful for the filter, not the pool. There are others that are better at sizing than me, but the way you make the decision is to size the filter for the pool first. Bigger the better. After the filter is chosen, choose the smallest pump possible that will still provide the flow you need. In your case with no water features, it's a matter of the smallest pump possible that would work with the filter you chose.

Hi Viscin, I have the exact same pool... :) I've gone with a Hayward 1hp pump and cartridge filter, the model number is in my signature.... I kept my Intex T636 pump that came with my pool to use in my solar set up.

The Intex 2650 is almost a 1hp pump - 0.95hp... It can pump 2650 gallons an hour.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.