Here are my numbers...but now what?

May 12, 2009
Ok just opened pool..water is crystal clear..topped up and has been circulating for about 12 hours or so--
Just did some tests with my TF-100 kit

CYA -0 (I plan to add to get to 40)
FC- .5
CC 2.5

Based on the chart for CYA I need to get my FC up to 16 to shock to get rid of the CC- and then maintain FC at a 5

The questions are these-
Normal at my openings I have at least some CYA in the pool, not sure why I don't have any this time unless the water is to cold to test- Do I need to let my sample water get to room temp? It is probably in the low 60F or so?
Can I go ahead and get some Bleach in the pool to start circulating or do I need to wait till the CYA has had time to circulate- It is my understanding that once I add I might need to wait a couple of days to get a more accurate reading once added?

Not sure what steps to take know. Add CYA based on chart dosage and go ahead and shock or just add CYA and wait to shock?

You didn't give a PH level what is it ?
Since you state your water is clear I would add enough bleach via pool math to get your FC level to 10. That may knock your CC's down.
Right after that get your stabilizer added via a sock or I use a nylon knee high and hang that in front of a return. Aim for a CYA level of 30 for now to see if you need to do a full SLAM. The lower CYA level will use less bleach if you need to do a SLAM. If everything is good, you can raise it up to 40. Don't bother testing it now it can take up to a week to fully register on a test.

If you have no visible algae bring your FC up to 10. That's SLAM level for 0-20 CYA level. That should take care of the CC's. You can have high CC's with no algae.
If you have visible algae then you need to follow the SLAM process. You would need to lower PH into the low 7's with acid then follow the SLAM instructions.
Either way add enough stabilizer to get you to 30 for now. Then if you don't have to SLAM let the FC drift down to be in range for a CYA of 30.
Here is the SLAM process to look at if need be. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl ?

Looks like I slightly disagree with everyone that posted previously:

Since you are reading no CYA and have a high CC level ... that often points to ammonia in the water. Do NOT add CYA until you get that CC number down. If I am right, when you add chlorine (aim for 10ppm), the CC may climb before it drops toward zero.
Once that happens, then add CYA and complete the SLAM process.

Looks like I slightly disagree with everyone that posted previously:

Since you are reading no CYA and have a high CC level ... that often points to ammonia in the water. Do NOT add CYA until you get that CC number down. If I am right, when you add chlorine (aim for 10ppm), the CC may climb before it drops toward zero.
Once that happens, then add CYA and complete the SLAM process.

I was just thinking the 10 ppm of FC may take care if the CC's before the CYA got all in there. Could be ammonia like you said Jason.
Had the same thing with my pool and a buddy's with low CYA, clear water and a little high CC and the 10 ppm of FC knocked the CC's down. Your prob right though.

I need to add the my chemicals are from last year, but were kept in a dark cabinet in my house all winter- It was actually A new bottle of CYA tester that I got last season but never used-

Also we had to top our pool up a bit more these year as all the snow seemed to have displaced some when the cover sank in and pushed it out of skimmer- so it was about 2 feet below skimmer

Based on the above responses....add CYA or Wait and top up Chlorine...Will this ammonia cause havoc?

Target raising the FC to 10ppm, wait 30+ minutes and test the FC and CC ... that will give a better idea of what to do next. Since it is evening, there is no concern about the sun burning off the FC due to lack of CYA. If you are diligent, you could get any ammonia gone before you go to bed.

Ammonia is easier to rid with a low CYA level. SLAM the pool without adding CYA to 10ppm FC and see if the CC goes up or down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I added 151 oz of 8.25% liquid bleach and it has been an hour or so....my FC is coming up at 16? I thought I figured to get up to 10 ??? anyways my CC is now down to 0-
Advice on what to do next? go ahead and put CYA in tonight in sock in front of skimmer? or wait till tomorrow?
Also do I just let FC drift down to the Target level of 4 and then maintain it there assuming CYA gets to 30?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.