Can an older sand filter be laid on it's side?

ekim

May 4, 2013
nj
I have a Hayward sand filter that's leaking from the bottom. It's more than 10 years old. I can't see what's going on without turning it on it's side. The filter is egg shaped with ports on the side and removable top.

What is the best way to inspect the exterior bottom of the filter?

No, not unless you remove the sand first. Shifting the filter with sand inside is likely to damage the laterals and certainly won't have things in the correct position when you turn it back upright.

I tried to cut a view port into the base, but I picked a bad spot so I couldn't see anything. I pulled it apart, put it up on blocks, filled it with water and found the leak from the drain pipe. I can't tell for sure if it's coming from the pipe or where it's attached to the filter. Does this drain just unscrew from the filter?

PumpLeak_20140505_19_24_17.jpg

I found the manual and it showed it as a removable part, so I removed it. It was loud - I thought it might shatter, but it came out whole. Now, to fix - the manual has part number : S200EB, but online I seen to find SX200EB more easily. Is there a place to cross reference Hayward numbers?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.