Update on foam cove...ground water or a leak.

Jul 22, 2009
As I started to fill my pool for the first time this year...water level got normal than normal BTW, there are bulges in the side of the inside. When feeling them it is obviously foam. I am guessing it is the cove foam from around the bottom or if could be something else? The bulges are perfectly uniform in a line and not in every spot, although they are at the same depth. Also, one of them is angled down the side at a 45 degree angle.

Fix advice? Drain the whole thing? Or drain and low enough to try to manipulate the foam down from outside the liner? Also our pool is buried about 24-30 inches.

Re: Emergency or not...foam bulge in side

Here it is. You can see the bulge. There are about three more at same depth in different areas. One of them actually angles down at 45 but cannot get an angle for a pic of it.photo pool.jpgphoto pool.jpgphoto pool.jpg

Did you just install this liner or pay to have someone install it with foam coving recently? I can clearly see the cove in the side of the wall where it doesn't belong.

Well that is odd now isn't it? You say you have it partially buried... Do you have high ground water?

I don't think we have high ground water. I suspected a leak, however, I have done the bucket test for a leak and there is no leak showing. It only did it when I started to fill...I am wondering if the water pressure somehow forced it up...Strange. It is partially buried about 24-30 inches the approximate spot the foam is but that is also the current water level so maybe coincidence.

If it's not leaking and you want to leave it, I don't see why it would be a problem but if it's going to bug you, then you'll definitely have to drain and pull the liner back and reinstall the cove. That's what it looks like, the cove. It just boggles my mind why it would be up the wall like that. :scratch:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ground water or leak issue

Here is an update on what has happened.

After I drained the pool and started to pull back the liner to see what was going on with the cove, I saw a lot of water being contained within the pool under the liner. The pool passed the leak tests when I did them but I am not convinced the water is from ground water, although we had a very wet winter and quite a bit of rain so far this spring.

I am pumping the water out now. The pool is buried about 2 feet. What would be the disadvantage of drilling holes in the side of the wall to allow water out.

Should I try a new liner just to be sure. This liner is 5 years old.

I would not drill it. Later on dirt will get thru them and damaged your linear. Also your wall will rust around the holes and sooner or later you will have to put new pool in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.