Please give me your feedback on a pool build & equipment

surferbum

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2013
North Scottsdale
I live in the Scottsdale, AZ area and am wanting to get the forum's feedback on a bid for a new pool.

The spec's are:
  • Perimeter 94'
  • Surface area 435 sq ft
  • Depth 3'6"-5'0"
  • Gallons 13866
  • Step footage 39'
  • Bench footage 16'
  • Max. dimensions 33' x 14

The backyard has a stuccoed wall which is 7' tall. The geometry of the lot can be seen from the bird's eye photo. We are planning on having travertine (16"x24") pavers in Crema. 12"x12" bullnose travertine coping with a tiled knife edge end. Three sheet flow water features coming off of the second, taller wall. Baja entry with a 6' sun shelf, followed by a couple of final entry steps.

schematic%2520of%2520backyard.jpg

The pool will use:
Paramount PV3 In Floor Cleaning and MDX3 Drain system
* lifetime warranty on nozzles, 99% cleaning guarantee, infinite position nozzle with no moving parts
Pentair IntelliFlo VS PLUS Variable Speed
Pentair Clean & Clear 520 Cartridge filter
Pentair IntelliBrite White LED (2 white lights facing away from the house)
Pentair EasyTouch 4P Automation System w/Wireless Remote pool control (iPhone/iPad maybe later)
Plumbing options for future: solar, salt and heater
Lifetime structural warranty on pool shell, 2 year on all workmanship and material

The PB uses Pentair equipment. Does anyone recommend something else?

Here are some construction details for the pool from the vendor's bid:

Plumbing
  • Filter run: Pool-16'
  • (1) Auto water leveler with vacuum breaker to meet codes
  • (1) Pool skimmer
  • ** *Paramount PV3 In Floor Cleaning and circulation system
  • Paramount MDX3 Drain in pool with SDX side wall safety relief suction
  • Schedule 40 plumbing throughout pool
  • (3) Filtration returns to bypass in floor cleaning system

Steel Reinforcement
  • #3-12" o.c., 6" o.c. at coves and radii and stress points
  • 4 bars, 3# continuous in bond beam around perimeter of pool

Electric
  • Approx (31) feet rigid conduit from panel to equipment to lite switch
  • (2) Pentair IntelliBrite White LED Lights In Pool
  • Pentair EasyTouch 4P Automation System w/Wireless Remote
  • Halo Bonding Around Perimeter Of Pool Per City Code

Shotcrete
  • Pneumatically applied
  • Steps and benches to be installed per plan
  • Minimum 6" thickness in walls and floors, 8" in coves and stress areas
  • 3000 PSI Concrete curing to 3200 PSI in 7 days and 3500-3700 psi
  • ** *WIRESto be run prior to shotcrete application to ensure all corners are s
  • Fibermesh to be used in shotcrete mix to help prevent shrinkage cracks

pool1.jpg

pool2.jpg

pool3.jpg

pool4.jpg

pool5.jpg

pool6.jpg

I am not a Pool Builder so cannot comment realistically on the equipment any better than you.

I will say that the in-floor cleaning systems have had many, many negative reports on this forum.......probably more than any piece of equipment that people install.

Based on what I have read for 7 years on this forum, I simply would never have one.

Hole dug, piping done and iron work done

Have some photos of the Hole dug, piping done and iron work done. There was no HARD DIG and the excavation took only 1 1/2 days, equipment & piping 1 day & iron work 3/4 day. Electrical next. Here's some photos:

iron%2520work%25202.jpg

iron%2520work.jpg

iron%2520work%2520looking%2520at%2520south%2520seat.jpg

iron%2520work%2520looking%2520at%2520south%2520seat%25203%2520water%2520features.jpg

iron%2520work%25203.jpg

looking%2520from%2520across%2520to%2520skimmer%25202nd%2520seat.jpg

iron%2520work%2520looking%2520at%2520west%2520light.jpg

pipe%2520run%2520with%2520skimmer.jpg

pipe%2520run%2520turning.jpg

run%2520of%2520pipes%2520to%2520equipment.jpg

pool%2520equipment.jpg

anti%2520syphon%2520auto%2520filler%2520hose%2520bib%2520connection.jpg

autofill%2520pipe%2520routing.jpg

antenna%2520wire.jpg

fill%2520dirt.jpg

Enjoy.

I love the design of your pool. We are also opting for an in-floor cleaner. I will be interested to see how you are liking yours. It seems a lot of the negative comments were from years ago; it's hard to find any recent feedback. Two PBs I've talked to liked them and stand behind them. I guess most people don't opt for them b/c of price differential between in-ground and robots. Keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Some up-to-date photos of progress on pool and backyard hardscape/landscape

Hi,
I live around the corner from you,
Great design,
Other then the 3 months to do it, MB did a fine job.
I personally would have put a little more steel in being that close to house and walls, but just added insurance.
Only because I am very picky did this stand out.
The back walls shouldn't be connected, and looks like the back wall should be a little longer past the front wall. That separation adds interest and shadow that you miss with them connected.
I think the design is a good look, but they missed that little point on their build.
Hope it stays warm for a bit longer so you can enjoy it.

I love the design of your pool. We are also opting for an in-floor cleaner. I will be interested to see how you are liking yours. It seems a lot of the negative comments were from years ago; it's hard to find any recent feedback. Two PBs I've talked to liked them and stand behind them. I guess most people don't opt for them b/c of price differential between in-ground and robots. Keep us posted!

I think someone with positive experience needs to write a review on the in-floor cleaning system. Like you I've found many older negative reviews. We are close to finalizing our pool plans and one of the pool builders insists they are worth every penny and has 100's of happy customers we can speak to. He indicates they place the Paramount system in almost all installs these days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.