LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I will hard plumb my Hayward Perflex EC50 filter and Hayward 1.5hp Power-Flo LX pump. Can you please let me know what I need to connect the PVC piping to motor,filter ,skimmer and pool outlet? Are all the threaded connectors available at local supply store? In the filter manual it says that all the plumbing connections are 1-1/2" NPT. Does it mean I just go to the store and buy 1-1/2" PVC connectors?

If you want to use the female side (ie, screw the fitting into the pump/filter/etc.) you can use standard 1 1/2" threaded PVC. If you look at the yellow circle, you can see how my Hayward stuff connects to the hard plumbing:

7fce10b4-0df2-4bba-9e5b-0d0d9d3dd8af_zps0166d4cf.jpg

Some of the Hayward equipment has threads so that you can attach unions directly to the equipment. If you go that route, you have to use their proprietary union.

I did.............NOT................ know that the hayward pumps used proprietary unions. There oughta be a law is all I'm sayin'.................

1000% agree.

The reason I know this is that I had a nipple screwed into my pump that started to leak. I figured I'd remove the nipple, clean the threads, redope it, then reinstall. Upon trying to remove it, I shattered the whole thing, couldn't get it out. Ok, forget it, I'll just use the other threads and install a union on the outside of the fitting. Could not find a union anywhere. It was in between every pair of sizes I found. Ended up buying the Hayward union from a parts supplier online. Fit like a glove.

$10 for a part that should cost $3.

Unbelievable.

Guys what unions are you talking about? Can someone post a link or something?

- - - Updated - - -

My unit have female threads. The pump came in with two male connectors that you first screw in and the slip over the hose. I will snap a picture tomorrow after work and show you what I mean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the union that is in the link that zea posted:

IMG_20801_zpscfa81317.jpg

1.5" PVC glues inside the one end, and the union nut screws onto the pump.

This is the other fitting on the same pump:

IMG_20781_zpsbaf86f9a.jpg

It was installed when I bought the house, so I don't know if it's a Hayward part or if it's standard plumbing. Male end screws into the pump, female end glues to 1.5" PVC. You can see the male threads on the pump, and you can put a union here if you want.

The only other leftover fittings I have in the house (from the previous owner) are these, which I have in various places on my pumps and multiports. I think they're Hayward parts, because the part numbers stamped on them start with SP. Can't read the number on the straight fitting, too chewed up:

IMG_20811_zps14066ecb.jpg

If you want to do the unions on the pump, you'll just have to buy the Hayward part and wait. If you want to do it the other way, I'd just buy the parts from your local big box store and see if it fits. Then install standard unions and some type of valve (ball valve, pool valve, Jandy valve) to make maintenance easier in the future.

Sorry it took so long, but I hope this helps.

The one on the right is what I have on both inlet and outlet. They just black. Also threads on both inlet and outlet are female threads. On the other picture it looks like someone have used the regular PVC fitting from local supply store. So it might work with mine then. I will have to go and visit HomeDepot after work. My 3 way valve will arrive today. One more question guys. My pool is semi inground pool. I put the filter on the high side and now the top of it (the part with handle to pump) is above pool water level. Will I have any problem with pump priming? Pump sits below water level.

One thing I would suggest is add a three way between the pump and filter. The perflex does not have a way to pump to waste. Spend the money at the pool store and get a good pool valve. Then you can vac to waste with that setup.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I purchased this valve : Hayward valve as recommended by user on this forum.
jcowart do you recommend to put it in between pump and filter? Can you explain this a little bit more? I have main drain that I want to control with the valve.

No, it'll be fine. If the pump is below water level, priming will be no problem. Your pump looks plenty big to push the water up and through the filter as well.

Keep us posted with how it goes and what you end up installing.
I will. I should get the valve today and maybe start working on it tomorrow. A lot of things I need to do. Run electrical , backfill the pool, build a deck :crazy:

Yes that is the valve. It would go between the pump and filter. The straight side would be from pump to filter. The other would normally stay closed. You can then put your backwash hose "normally blue vinal hose" on that side. When you want to vac to waste, open that side and it will close the filter side. With the bump type filter you do not use a backwash valve like other de filters.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.