Deep End Drain plugged???

• Thread starter Deleted member 62417
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 62417

Hi everyone:

I inherited a 18'x36' pool when we bought our house a few years ago. The deep end is about 8 feet wit sloped sides. One thing I noticed is that the bottom drain does not seem to draw water through it, at least I can't feel it and I tried putting something by it to see if it was draw toward it and it doesn't seem to be working.

Someone indicated to me that the previous owner probably blocked it on purpose because they were afraid of their kids being sucked to the bottom by it and drowning. Does this seem plausible to anyone? Should I unblock it? Without it, the only return I have is the skimmer basket? Since this is near the surface does that provide enough to filter and clean the pool effectively?

Thoughts?

Derek

Does your skimmer have two open holes in the bottom, or is one plugged?

If both holes are open, your drain runs through the skimmer. If the hole nearest the pool is plugged, you should have a separate line to the pump for the drain and skimmer.

Drain covers are designed to minimize the suction, so you won't feel much. Some food coloring in a squeeze bottle is a good method to check for flow.

Let us know how your plumbing is a arranged for the drain.

The diverter will look similar to one of these:

lovingHDTV-SkimmerDiverter.jpg
joenj-SkimmerDrainDiverter.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.