CYA loss

May 10, 2013
Hello. I have been using the BBB method for several years now. My question is regarding CYA levels. It seems that since I have been using the BBB method, every summer, I am having to add CYA. Curious why/how I would be losing CYA? It is a 16,000 gallon plaster pool in California. We've had below normal levels of rain this past year. The pool does have an auto fill on it, so I don't know how much is lost to evaporation. Last year when I added CYA, the level was about 20-30. My understanding is that once you have CYA, you shouldn't lose it, without draining water?? Is that right?

There's other ways to lose water besides draining: spash out from kids having fun, or maybe a cleaner spitting out water 50 or more times a day (like mine). Back washing is the same as draining. Evaporation doesn't count since it leaves the cya in the remaining water. There are other reasons too, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm sure some expert will fill in my gaps for you.

Thank you for your thoughts. I can rule out any water loss from anybody using the pool. Unfortunately it is just a pretty water hole that I dump money into, never gets used anymore. :( And I have put on the new Polaris tail sweep that prevents the water from spraying out. I don't have an issue with adding more CYA, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing......:cool:

I was surprised that my cya dropped by 20 during March and part of April if this year. I was scared that I had a leak, but I think it was just the deluge of rain during those months. I'm just relieved that I didnt have to drain water because I was at 90 and now I'm down to 65-70.

CYA does also break down, just too slowly to be a practical way of lowering for people with sky high CYA. It seems that warmer water and higher than recommended pH may be factors in speeding this along. In 100+ degree hot tub conditions this can be at a rate around 5% per month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.