Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Shocked...water turned cloudy (going on vaca in 2 hrs)

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Shocked...water turned cloudy (going on vaca in 2 hrs)

I just shocked my pool this morning...we are heading away for a week. Water turned cloudy. Pump is running. I had this happen one other time before and my pressure went up really high causing the need to backwash. I don't recall ever having this problem before. My numbers before shocking:

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.4
    ALK 80
    CH 280
    CYA 40

To maintain the pool while away, I have my LQ with 12% CL set high + an autochlorinator with pucks set at 4 and a floater with 3 pucks. Could I be going a little overkill on this? I just don't want to deal with problems when I return.

Thanks everyone!
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just Shocked...water turned cloudy (going on vaca in 2 hrs)

Your LQ and pucks and shocking....? A little..... How long will you be gone, a month....LOL JK!

You shocked with bleach and got cloudy? That's odd, your numbers look fine.

Enjoy your vacation. You are a lifetime supporter of TFP. You can deal with ANYTHING that arises upon your return... Don't let your pool worries stop you from enjoying your vacation!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Cloudy water, particularly white/milky cloudy water, right after shocking is usually calcium clouding, though your test numbers don't really suggest that. The calcium dust can clog up a DE filter sometimes, though usually it goes right through. If it is calcium, a little acid will usually clear it up quickly.

You are going overboard on the chlorine. The floater is good because it will work to some extent even if the pump doesn't work. But all three (LQ, puck feeder, floater) is too much.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks....will add some acid and will turn down the chlorinator to a trickle. I am using both the LQ and chlorinator these days since the pool gets a lot of use and splashout. my cya has been staying in check as well as my ph.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400