Recommendation for heater

Aug 30, 2011
Tacoma, WA
My brother-in-law would like to add a heater to his in ground pool before the season starts this year. Without the heater he's not seeing temps much higher than 72*. He had talked to a neighbor who had claimed he had a unit that was a heater for the pool, and a heat pump for the house. After looking around and also posting on here, I see that there really isn't anything like that out right now.

So now he is asking me whether he should go with a gas furnace or a heat pump. He has gas already to the shed where the PO had removed the furnace. While I was doing some research, I basically came up with these things to consider. The furnace will be cheaper to purchase than the Heat Pump, but will cost more to operate. Also that the furnace will heat the water faster, while the heat pump takes longer.

We live in the Pacific Northwest (Tacoma, WA). Our pool season is about mid may to the end of September. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for my brother? I figure when we do decide what's best, the better way to go is to purchase it online and install either ourselves or hire somebody. Any and all help and recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Heat pumps are not typically a diy venture. Gas heaters, with some good skills can be owner installed. Keep in mind, if you purchase online you may not find an installer willing to do the work as the warranty stuff gets real messy. If you do your own install at least you personally know the tech who will have to do the service work on the unit.

The furnace will be cheaper to purchase than the Heat Pump, but will cost more to operate. Also that the furnace will heat the water faster, while the heat pump takes longer.

Do you/he know for sure that gas is going to be more expensive? Is this natural or propane gas? Usually for natural gas it's cheaper. Not so for propane.

Do you/he know for sure that gas is going to be more expensive? Is this natural or propane gas? Usually for natural gas it's cheaper. Not so for propane.

I guess I don't know this for a fact, it's just what I had read while I was trying to research. We barely use our gas furnace in our own pool, just because we get so much natural light. But when we do use it the bill seems very reasonable.

Thanks for the input everybody. From what I have been reading on here it seems that the Raypak units are a good way to go?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.