Fiberglass Pool and Scaling

Jul 21, 2011
Last year when I closed my pool I noticed a white film on the walls and floors of my pool below the water line which I have to assume is scaling (see images below).

My pool is going into it's 4th summer and I just started noticing this near the end of the season. It could have been there longer but I just never noticed it.

I have been doing my best to keep the water balanced with my test kit (I got the one recommended here) and don't recall any real problems when I tested. I would also take my water to the pool store to test and the numbers were relatively the same. Obviously I missed something or this wouldn't have happened, but not sure what. I am going to the pool store today to see if they have a history of my water numbers so I can see where I may have missed something.

At the end of each season my SWG had no scaling at all on the fins (or whatever they are called) if that makes a difference.

So, from the pictures am I correct that it is scaling?

My pool is closed for the winter (so no numbers on my water at the moment) but I am planning on opening it up in the next couple of weeks.

I figured this would be the best time to tackle this issue but I don't want to damage the gelcoat in the process.

What are my best options without causing damage to the fiberglass pool?

scale1.jpg

scale2.jpg

Hey gcollins.... Curious to see what your test results were last year. Maybe you can tell us what chlorine you were using? Your CH and pH levels too? I know it may be hard to remember since it was last year but you could always get us a new sample when you open the pool in a couple weeks. :goodjob:

I haven't tried the muriatic acid yet, little worried that it my damage the gelcoat. Plus I would have to drain the whole pool to do this, so if I took that course of action I think I would have to do it when I close the pool.

As for the gelcoat this is a fiberglass pool from Leisure Pools which I believe uses Aquaguard for there gelcoat. How would I find out what fillers it uses?

My Pool Specs:

Riviera 34' Leisure Pool
Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG
Pentair MasterTemp 250 Gas Heater
Pentair SuperFlo Pump
Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter

I got some water samples from last year below when I took it into the pool store, as you can see I had a problem with the chlorine.

FC: .15
CC: .3
PH: 7.5
CH: 194
TA: 100
CYA: 21

FC: .07
CC: .47
PH: 7.7
CH: 171
TA: 88
CYA: 44

FC: 4.64
CC: .5
PH: 7.8
CH: 192
TA: 78
CYA: 65

FC: 1.03
CC: 4.84
PH: 8
CH: 141
TA: 121
CYA: 4

FC: .17
CC: .74
PH: 7.3
CH: 199
TA: 89
CYA: 80

FC: 17.59
CC: .65
PH: 8
CH: 183
TA: 70
CYA: 78

5bc431f8453aa7374c457e6a7491a08c.jpg

Not yet.

I talked to Leisure Pools last year and they have a product that they think will help. I didn't have time to go full boar at it last year so this year I am going to buy enough product to last the whole summer and see what that does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya those numbers were from 2 years ago. I got that undercontrol now.

Just trying to figure out away to get the scaling off without having to drain and give an acid wash. Hoping that using the scaling product from Leisure Pools for this whole season will clear it up pretty good.

Let me know how you make out.

I was going to do the border tile as well but I noticed that the scaling is on the whole surface of the pool and not just along the water line. If the product I am going to get from leisure pool which is called 'defender' is not going to work then I think I may need to do a full drain and acid wash/buff to remove.

Was that Defender from Leisure pools? this is a product that comes from the manufacturer of my pool. That's not to say they just took another product and slapped their label on it though.

I know there is a product out there called 'Leisure Time Spa Defender' which is a different product.

I just watched a useless youtube video where she said she found a product that worked for her.

The product was EDFRED Shower Stall & Tile Cleaner. Not too expensive so might be worth to try a small bottle to see if it works.

Alright. Let me know how you make out.

I haven't ordered my product yet, still want to get some assurance from them that it will work before I spend money on it and find it doesn't do anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.