Pool Timeline/Payment Schedule

Apr 28, 2014
Bellmore, NY
Just a quick question -

PB is telling me that the pool needs to settle before they can start doing masonry work around (I want to put down some ledgestone pavers) and that this process would take up to a month after the pool is actually built. In other words, the pool building/payment schedule would look something like this (pool is $24,500, not incl. masonry):

Get the permits (3-4 weeks - this is typical where I live and I agree with him on this)
Build the Pool (no masonry - 3 weeks (concrete walls, 20 x 40 - again sounds reasonable to me)
Let the Pool "settle" (another 3-4 weeks) before laying down the pavers
Masonry work (1 week).

Does this pool timeline make any sense or is the PB just blowing smoke?

As for payment schedule - I may be wrong here, but the PB wants the following (We were on the phone and I did not have a pen - so trying to recall from memory):

$2,000 down
$3000 at the end of digging
$13,000 when the liner goes in
$2500 for backfill
$1500 (some other stage)
$500 when electric is hooked up and pool runs.

A little light on the back end, but I think its ok. What are your thoughts?

The pool builder likely knows local soil conditions which can be a factor on the settling, timeline looks reasonable, although many pool projects take longer, as to payment schedule there are all different types, many pool builders seem to require full payment before the pool is completed, often in 2 large payments, yours seems to have it broken down a bit more.

Generally you want to make the final payment after the last day to record mechanic's liens on the job and the final punch list is complete. Your PB should agree to this.

If you look at many of the steel walled pool threads on here you will note that it at least a month between back fill and liner installation and deck installation. I would say a month with watering it down every three days or so would be good. I think your pool builder is trying to do the right thing and be safe.

Not sure about concrete but in our gunite pool we began the dig on Tuesday and had gunite completed the following Monday. Your biggest wait will be the 20 days or so of watering so the walls can cure. It's not like all work stops during this time. Equipment can be set, deck poured and the tiling can be done.

Our pool start to finish was 31 days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.