I'm Confused

Oct 26, 2013
Chapin, SC
Everything I've read here says pH will rise when using a SWCG. However, while setting up and testing a spread sheet I've developed to determine approximate ozs of Chlorine gas produced for various running time and production %s for my SWG, and plugging the resulting values into Pool Math's "Effects of adding chemicals", The results show increases in FC as expected but DECREASES in pH. As the amount of Chlorine gas produced goes increases so is the decrease of pH getting higher. Having run my SWG for about a month now, I haven't seen any increase in pH and have actually seen a net decrease. Not much, but still a decrease.

Don't assume that what PoolMath says about chlorine gas has anything at all to do with a SWG. For PH change purposes the two are essentially unrelated. There are additional reactions taking place inside the SWG beyond the chlorine gas dissolving.

A SWG, in and of its self, has essentially zero effect on PH (baring chlorine out gassing, but that is unusual). But aeration combined with high TA will raise PH. Most pools have little aeration without a SWG. A SWG provides aeration, making PH increases more likely. If you manage your PH and TA levels correctly there is no PH increase.

Thanks Jason, I just thought chlorine gas is chlorine gas whether produced by a SWG or pumped in by some pool maintenance co. The problem is I'm going on vacation and will be away from my pool for2-3 wks, more than I've been since inheriting my pool. Before, I've sometimes come back to a pool with a bunch of leaves and other debris but adequate FC levels after putting a few bottle of bleach and 3 pucks in a floater. That probably the biggest reason why I installed the SWG. Please see my new thread, I'd appreciate having your expert input on the questions I raised there.

Once dissolved in the water, chlorine is chlorine. But in the process of being dissolved in the water there will be some secondary effects depending on the original form of the chlorine. Chlorine gas is acidic like trichlor and dichlor, while a SWG is PH neutral like bleach and cal hypo.

Please see my new thread, I'd appreciate having your expert input on the questions I raised there.
It is not easy for a frequent responder to chase a new thread......this is a busy forum and responders answer new posts but typically do not have the time to search for whatever post an OP might have placed elsewhere.

That's one of several reasons why OP's are encouraged to keep all their pool information in one thread......even though the topic may change somewhat, it is still the same pool and frequent responders like to see the whole "story".

I see, that sorta explains why I haven't noticed an increase in pH. Thanks again!! I used to run an aerator, but haven't since last fall (I got tired of having to untangle my Polaris from it) I also bought a full set of ladder guards that work pretty good so far. I haven't installed the boron GAUD yet due to cold water temps. Maybe today!!! Water temp was 78 yesterday but the air temp is supposed to get up to 93 today SWIM TIME!!!

You can think of an SWG simultaneously producing both chlorine gas (which dissolves in water to become chlorine and acid) and the equivalent of lye which is a base (and hydrogen gas as well). So the net result is basically the same as if you had added bleach or chlorinating liquid except there is no buildup of salt. See the "Salt (SWG) Pool" section in this post for technical details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.