LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just joined the forum and figured I would say Hi. I have been reading up on Pool School and really ready to give these methods a shot. I was not happy with the way the season ended last year, I started having algae issues (just a very little bit, but them I am anal). Kept getting stuff from my pool store but really didn't seem to fix the problem, just made my chemistry all out of whack.

I will say that I was definitely doing it wrong. I was using test strips and just blindly following the pool store's advice. Now, this year, I will Take Charge!

I am ordering the TF-100 right now. So, I do have a few questions as well....

1) Please look at my signature, and let me know if there is anything missing or if the equipment is "good" or "bad"... Trust me, no feelings will be hurt, I bought all this as a package.

2) I am thinking about opening the pool up next weekend. Based on my size what would be "a good idea" to have on hand, chemical wise, and more importantly, how much... Last thing I want to do is buy a ton of Muriatic Acid, Bleach, and Borax only to have it sit around...

I know... without test results and even knowing what the water looks like no-one can tell what I will need to add.. I just want an idea of the typical..

Look forward to having a fun learning adventure with this.

Welcome!

Only thing I'd add to your signature is a pump brand/model if you can find it.

You'll definitely need bleach, but how much is a total guess. When cleaning up a green pool it can be anywhere from a lot to a truckload. Start pricing it to see where you can get the best deal. I wouldn't buy anything else until you know you need it. Again, start pricing and sourcing it so you know exactly where to get it from, but don't but it until you know you need it.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

josworth said:
I am ordering the TF-100 right now.
Great first step! :goodjob:

I would certainly have some bleach on hand. It's a given that you will need that. Just don't go overboard and get a warehouse-full as bleach can degrade in strength over time. During swim season, I just keep bleach on the shopping list so I am always getting some fresh stock every time I go to the store. Of course, if your test results indicate the need to SLAM, then you can be justified in getting a pickup-load worth.

Although chances are good that you will need MA, I would test before getting any. Some pools tend to drift up in pH while others tend to drift down. Since my pool's pH tends to drift up, I always get one package of MA which contains two one-gallon bottles. It last me a good while. Store the bleach & MA separate from each other - you do not want to risk these two chemicals coming in contact with each other (as in the case of a leaking bottle). Actually, I would store the MA in a separate & ventilated container out of direct sunlight. Fumes coming from even a closed bottle can corrode items stored nearby.

As for Borax, you probably will not need any. I have never had a need to use Borax. It is most commonly used if you have an unusually large infestation of bugs getting into the pool.

Thanks for the kind welcome..

Updated the signature to reflect the brand pump. Don't have the model number handy.

I hope my test kit arrives in a few days, I ordered it this morning.

I will look and see what concentrate Bleach my local BJ's sells and also check with Acme and Aldi. I figure I'll pick up 4 or 5 gallons to start. That seem OK?

The rest I will wait on. I know where to get the stuff, but will wait and see what PoolMath tells me after I pop the cover and see what I've got.

I did tell the store I bought the pool package from to upgrade my filter and pump to one that has greater capacity. Did they and was I right in thinking a bigger pump and filter will circulate the water better and make it easier to keep it clean?