I Just Cut My Intex Pool For My Upgrade :-)

laceygirl

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Dec 31, 2013
Canberra Australia
I just finished cutting those stupid plastic things that serve as suction/returns, off my Intex Pool and it wasn't as stressful as I anticipated! I had two of these things to remove and it was a piece of cake!

I chose to do it before I set my pool up, but I will put the thru-the-wall skimmer in when the pool is set up in September!

Here you go!

6asere8a.jpg

ju2ydaga.jpg

usa7u8ub.jpg

yde2u9y7.jpg

7e7uzyza.jpg

5epa9yga.jpg

avyrymyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever installed their through the wall skimmer WITHOUT the pool being set up???? There's no real point is there? The pool liner will stay in the box until I need it, so I can't see the benefit in it.... Thoughts?????

I don't think this is a good idea, actually. If you install it without any water in the pool, when you do fill it, if the liner stretches any it might rip out the holes where the screws go through.

Has anyone ever attempted changing any of these inlets or returns while the water was full.. ie: maybe using a bowl on the inside of the pool and then cutting on the outside using the gasket as a guide?

I want to change my one return to the full size 11236 part from intex and also add the second return about 12" below my primary return + pvc..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure you can. I replaced both of the black rubber sleeved inlets ( to the pump) with 1 1/2 inch Hayward fittings, while my pool was full.

You mention using hayward fittings, is that something different than this 11236 intex below?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EHVS9A/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_awdo_x_w7K7ybM9MRBMK

It seemed most were replacing their outlet(s) with these.. cutting the hole bigger..

On the idea of cutting while full.. how do you fit something like the 11236 strainer through the hole from the outside and get the gasket in place on the pool side inside the bowl without much hassle? I dont think it would fit through the hole, as the hole just needs to be so big.. or maybe it does (from the outside to inside the bowl?).

I did cut-while-full on my previous pool. Sure, there will be some spillage, but not much if you're quick. Keep a bucket on the ground below the cut if you need to. You need to remove the bowl after the cut and fit the gasket and strainer from the inside. Have an assistant standing by with a bowl or similar if you drop something or if you panic when the water starts gushing out. Stay cool and there is nothing to it.

Yeah the hose may technically 1.5 inches, but the threads on the nut on the hoses is a metric 40mm nut.

- - - Updated - - -

In my photo above, the middle hose is an Intex hose. The grey part is the nut that is on the hose. That is the 40mm part.

So with the Hayward connector how do you put a strainer on the other side how does that work with replacing the outlets with Hayward instead of the 40 millimeter since they have no strainer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.