Motor hums / buzzes, trips breaker

Apr 20, 2014
USA
Hi everyone.

I had a problem with the (now old) replacement motor of a Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II or Max E Glas II (What's the difference?).

It happened only once so far.

When the motor was powered, it hummed / buzzed for a couple seconds then tripped the breaker.

I tested the start capacitor and run capacitor (microfarads). The start capacitor is in its operating range. The run capacitor is only 2% lower than its operating range.

The shaft spins freely.

What could it have been?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Exactly how did you test the capacitors? Capacitor tester or ohm meter. And what was off by 2%?

I believe those two motors use centrifugal switches which can get corroded over time. Try cleaning the contacts.

Did you check the switch springs and make sure the switch is moving properly when the motor spins up?

The symptoms point to the switch. Nothing else is intermittent like that.

If in the future this problem does happen consistently, is rebuilding this kind of motor worth it, or should it simply be replaced?

Part of the reason I ask is because of the inconvenience of taking everything apart and/or taking it to a motor shop.

Again, it depends on what's wrong with it but also how much you are willing to do yourself. Even bearings can be replaced. About the only thing that is not worth repairing are the winding's. However, if you are going to take it to a motor shop, then you are probably better off buying a new motor. The pump wet end can usually last through several motor changes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.