Trouble getting skimmer plug unscrewed

May 4, 2014
Bear, DE
Last fall, when I closed down the pool myself, I got some 1.5 inch (that sounds about right) plugs from Home Depot and screwed them in with teflon tape after pouring some RV antifreeze down there to prevent freezing. Now, I am having a really tough time getting the plugs unscrewed - my tongue and groove pliers barely fits into that space. Gloves seem to help get somewhat of a grip, but these bad boys just don't want to move.

Anyone have similar trouble in the past and was able to figure out some way to get them unscrewed more easily? Appreciate the assistance.

Also doing the BBB system for the first time this year after doing weekly trips to the pool store last year - so glad I came across this site over the winter!!

Thanks! I eventually found a pair of pliers that were slightly smaller and that did the trick, one quarter-turn at a time.

I will say that clean-out-plug wrench shown in that link above is definitely the perfect tool for the job.. may have to pick up one of those before this year's closing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.