15ft intex metal frame pool-how to hard plumb it

Apr 15, 2014
United States
Hi all!

I have an Intex 15ftx48" agp, and would like to hard plumb it. A couple of years ago I had someone change my filter system to a Hayward 1hp 2-speed pump and X-stream filter which works ok. But am wondering best way to stop using "hose" that comes from skimmer into pump. I would prefer that to be hard plumbed, with a ball valve to shut water off for cartridge cleaning, etc. any ideas?

Also would you recommend I replace the original intex skimmer for a hayward thru the wall one? I am wondering how one keeps the thru the wall skimmers from sucking air should the pool water level drop... Know nothing about them really...

I've tried to attach a couple pics, but for some reason the files will not upload?? Some bug in system here?

Anyway, any help much appreciated!

mefergit

Last edited:
Everything else on the pool is the original. Haven't changed anything within it... just wondering how I might change to hard plumb instead of those flimsy hoses that run from pool to pump and pump back to pool. Live in San Diego, and know the sun is going to make those hoses brittle after time.

Also, I've seen a lot of pics on here for putting in thru-the-wall skimmers, but not for my size pool. Just wondering advantages, etc

gerutynu.jpg

To hard plumb you will have to change your fittings! These are intex but many use Hayward! If you already have something like this then you are good to go! If not you will have to cut your liner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thanks... yes, I knew i would need different fittings. But I am unsure of the size needed. I did think I would have to make the holes bigger, but can you tell me if there is a "standard" size I might use?

Also, will I have to lower pool level to cut the skimmer hole larger?

pevegy8y.jpg

This was the fitting I started with! Useless really! Then I got the fitting washer and traced it onto my pool!
ynuqapu4.jpg

I cut around the outside of the marker line!
aqu3amuz.jpg

Fitting fits perfectly! You can find them on amazon! Intex large strainer connector!
natyjevy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, lower the water level to put the through the wall skimmer in... :)

Truly appreciate the pics!! You're a great help for an old girl here!

How do you feel regarding the skimmer situation? Do you use the thru the wall type, or just the original one inside the pool? And if you use/recommend thru the wall type, how do you keep it from sucking air like the old/original skimmer does sometimes? Just keep water level high? Or is there another way...

Again, I appreciate your bounty of knowledge!

- - - Updated - - -

Ooops...just noticed you mentioned the skimmer earlier. But I am still wondering about the water level as regards "sucking air" situation. Thanks!

Hi there... :) The skimmer will be installed in my pool when I put it up in the next few weeks... I'm putting my pool up in winter as I am landscaping the yard it goes in, and I need it up to get correct dimensions... :) I will post heaps of pics on my thread when I put it up and install skimmer....... :) The skimmer shouldn't suck air if you put it up high enough to the seam... I am planning to put the top row of screws of the skimmer, through my seam so it will reinforce the seam.... :) I also don't want to sacrifice the water level...I want it to be as deep as allowable..... So mine is going up as high as I can safely do it.... :) There's a lot of discussion about where to put it, mine is a rectangle so the higher the better....

Just keep the water level up, and it shouldn't suck air... My old over the wall skimmer didn't suck very much air, but I did release the air out of the pump about twice a day....lol... No biggie.... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.