Help! My liner floated!

May 4, 2014
For a little history:

two years ago we bought a home and became first time IG pool owners. The existing liner was old, faded and creased In the shallow end so we got a new liner installed 19 months ago. We uncovered our pool last weekend and found a disaster! Our shallow end has large creases in it. We know our property has drainage issues and hope to get our yard leveled properly and my husband wants to install a sub pump all this summer.

We called the company the put in our liner and to have them reset the shallow end but the cost is huge. I made an appointment for them to come out in 2 days to fix it. We drained our pool down so that the shallow end is exposed and my husband tried to fix it since we don't have much to loose. Today is very chilly and drizzling. My husband loosened the one side and tried to start working the liner. He was able to get the big folds down, but there is a bunch of fine creases now. If he puts a shop vac behind the liner, the liner sucks fast to the floor, but if he turns it off the folds reappear.

We are hoping to work on it a warmer sunny day praying the liner will soften since today it feels so stiff. Any advice of technique on how to get our liner smooth again?

I wish I could figure out how to share the pictures!

THANKS!
Erin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would fix the underlying problem before I fixed the liner.......Groundwater will just float it again.

It sounds like your husband knows what to do to get the water away from the pool so that would be my first move......then reset the liner.

Your husband seems to know what he's doing! If he got the wrinkles all the way out, then just keep the shop vac running while you fill the pool. It's the weight of the water than keeps the liner pressed to the bottom and sides and keep the wrinkles away. if you have one of those plastic steps, then once you have water to the bottom step, you can turn off the shop vac. Thats exactly what the pool people will do (if they do it right).

If your liner covers the steps too, then keep the vac going until the last step is covered with water.

Since you've gotten that far and have eliminated the wrinkles, then seems to be you dont need the pool people.

Apparently you do have a prob with ground water, so that does also need to be taken care of as duraleigh points out.

My husband loosened the one side and tried to start working the liner. He was able to get the big folds down, but there is a bunch of fine creases now. If he puts a shop vac behind the liner, the liner sucks fast to the floor, but if he turns it off the folds reappear.

We are hoping to work on it a warmer sunny day praying the liner will soften since today it feels so stiff. Any advice of technique on how to get our liner smooth again?

I wish I could figure out how to share the pictures!

THANKS!
Erin

Right now he quit for the day and are hoping tomorrow is a sunny warm day. These are the creases I'm talking about. It seems when we turn the shop vac on, the creases pucker more and then it's almost impossible to stretch, even with the liner currently relaxed the creases are there. Just don't know how to approach things :(

6ujagyma.jpg

you mention in your first post you made an appointment for the pool people to come fix it. If it were me, I would do some hard negotiating on this. NO Wrinkles, pay full price.
If there are wrinkles, deduct a good bit of money. I suppose how many wrinkles are left determines how much to deduct.

Depending on how badly you want them out I guess determines what you do.

Im certainly not a pro, but others here have been in the same situation so the following is taken from what I have read by others.
It seems the shop vac helped some. So hook that up. use a soft broom or perhaps a sponge mop or something similar and see if you can squeege out the wrinkles as the pool is filling. It has been mentioned on other posts, that a toilet plunger can help move the wrinkles out, but be careful doing it.

You might get lucky and get them all, or you might not, but thats prolly about the best way to go about it. Certainly do it on a warm day. Since the liner is fairly new, you stand a decent chance.

in the top right of this website, just under the Pool School button, is a search box. Type in , removing wrinkles or something similar and you will tons of hits. Give it a go and perhaps you can find some better ideas than mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Erin, as Duraleigh stated, you need to fix the underlying issue of ground water first or it's going to continue to happen. Your husband needs to dig well points around the pool and run the pumps when the ground water is high to prevent this from happening. I'd seriously wait on yge liner until this first step is completed so you're not wasting money because you will have to reset the liner again.

Welcome to the forum!

So glad it's been fixed! You've got a nice liner! Post more pics when you get it cleared up! :goodjob:

Thanks Casey! I jokingly said to the pool people when choosing our liner "did you ever have anyone want a brown pool like this?" (As i was looking at the sample) surprisingly the guy told me that is his favorite liner color because it gives off a natural sparkling aqua. He had no examples to show me of pools with it so i just trusted him. We LOVE it. And we love the boarder with our yard because we have a lot of trees and a wooded area at the end of our yard it fits right in with.

BEFORE
ze9y8ude.jpg

AFTER
egysusez.jpg

9ajy4ure.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.