Adjusting pool for summer

Apr 28, 2013
GSO, NC
This is the beginning of my second season, I may or may not be a noobie, but could still use some guidance. We got a solar cover end of last year, left it on all winter to keep leaves, etc., out. So this year, I've been opening the pool, most weekends, kids have been swimming. I thought the levels were ok,, the quick yellow/red test kit showed good pH and chlorine at 2-3 (a little low for BBB method I think).

When I got my tf100 test kit, I was surprised all the CYA disappeared over the winter...
April 22, water temp 67
FC 2
TA 60
CH 50
CYA 0
...I added 4 lbs stabilizer, all I had, and ordered more.

April 30' water temp 70
FC 1.5
pH 7.2
TA 50
CH 25
CYA 30
...I added 6 more lbs stabilizer
Also noticed a brown/green algae forming along the bottom. I scrubbed that, and am super chlorinating with the SWG.
I have my pump running 8 hrs on low in the morning, then 4hrs on high generating chlorine at 20% from 1-5pm. I think I need to get more percentage and/ or high pump runtime.
Yesterday the pH was low at 6.8. Will that balance out, or should I be adding some baking soda?

We've had loads of pollen here, and with lots of trees nearby, quite a bit of organic matter has been blown into the pool lately.

Do my numbers look ok? I'll test again midweek to let the CYA dissolve.

Super chlorinating with the SWG isn't always a good idea. It shortens the life of the cell, and normally can't keep up with the algae growth. Best is to follow the SLAM as shown in Pool School to rid yourself of the algae.

Your FC is definitely too low, so how about your CC? You need to get some LC into that pool ASAP. bring it up to at least the level appropriate to your target CYA.

looks like I better start the SLAM process. Unfortuntately, my schedule is pretty packed, and I won't be around this weekend. I think a big problem is in my cartridge filters; I havent found time to clean them yet this year.
OCLT:
9pm FC 12.5, CC1.0, CYA 70, pH7.2
6am FC 11.0, CC1.0
the water's been clear, just noticed a little algae buildup on the bottom after I bumped the CYA from 0 to 30 2 weeks ago. I scrubbed the entire pool last weekend, it still "looks" good, but the numbers don't show that.

Now I'm a little confused, I have more chlorine this morning since last night.
9:00pm FC 12.5, CC 1.0...TC 13.5
6:30am FC 13.5, CC 0.5...TC 14.0

The pump is off all night, it kicks on low speed at 5am. I didn't think it generates chlorine on low, yesterday's OCLT support that theory, but now I'm not sure.
Then there could be operator error counting the drops :mad:

Edit: I also have a blue solar cover on, so daytime chlorine loss due to UV should be minimal. I have the pump running on high for 4hrs with the SWG set at 40%

During a SLAM, you need to be running your pump 24/7, low would be adequate. Your SWG should be off, and you should be dosing with only LC.

Chances are high that it was an error counting drops. To avoid that, I use the 10ml sample size, and count 1/2, 1, 1/2, 2.....you get the idea.

OK, I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Sunday 7:30am
FC 13.5
CC 0..5
pH 7.2
TA 70
CH 25
CYA 60

water is clear, plenty of kids enjoyed it throughout the day. SWG was set to 10%, pump ran on high most of the day.

Sun.8:30pm FC 12.0, CC 1.0...TC 13.0
ran pump on low overnight, SWG off
Mon.6:15am FC 11.5, CC 0.5...TC 12.0

So in addition to solar loss and small outgassing, the FC decreases by 'attacking' biological stuff, turns into CC, which the filter traps? I was surprised to see a CC drop overnight...it must be in the filter?
My plan is to keep the SWG at 5-10% until the FC settles around 5, then test/maintain/enjoy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So in addition to solar loss and small outgassing, the FC decreases by 'attacking' biological stuff, turns into CC, which the filter traps?

Not quite. CCs go through further chemical reactions, but the end result is that they break up and their component parts either outgas (nitrogen gas) or stay in the water (more hypochlorous acid, plus leftover ions). Bottom line, CCs break up, the bad stuff goes away, and the byproducts that are left in the pool are completely benign.

The filter will trap particulate matter, like dust, dirt, pollen, algae carcasses, etc.

Last week, the air temp dropped where swimming was undesirable and we got a good amount of rain. I tested Friday night...
FC 5.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 25
CYA 60
I was surprised to see so much FC drop, so dialed the SWG up to 20%.

I'm feeling good about my test results from tonight...
FC 5.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 25
CYA 60

I'm happy I seemed to have found a setup thats kept the FC pretty consitent. Perhaps I should add 5% to the SWG?

Should I be 'fine tuning' the pH up to 7.6 and try to get the CYA to 75? I guess the SWG would increase with CYA. I have Borax and CYA powders at home, thinking about adding 4lbs Borax and 3lbs CYA to get closer to nominal recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.