Questionable salt levels

Mar 21, 2012
Suffolk, Va
I'm in the process of completing a slam to open my pool. Water is starting to get clear enough for me to see the bottom. My swg console was telling me that I had a salt level of 2500 ppm and to add 25 lbs. To bring the level back up to 3000 ppm which I did. I would think that by now in the slam process that the swg should be producing enough FC to maintain the Fc level, especially with it running 24/7. The unit has also been turned up to 100% on the highest level. Last season (the first season that I have used the swg) the unit was only set to 60% on medium level to maintain FC. I did another salt test using strips and it showed the salt level at only 360 ppm which would explain the lack of output but why would the test and the swg console be putting out such drastically different levels. Salt does not dissipate, so why would I have such a low level as shown by the strips.

FC. 16
TA. 70
PH. 7.5
CH. 40
CYA. 40
Salt. ?????

It is extremely unlikely that a SWG can maintain SLAM level, though it varies depending on the relative size of the SWG and the pool. I wouldn't take that as an indication of a problem.

There is no way your salt level is anywhere near 360. The salt strips must be wrong.

By the by, your CYA level is good for SLAMing, but too low for normal operation of the SWG.

I would not use the SWG to SLAM. Perform and complete the SLAM and then use SWG to maintain.....it just works better that way.

What is your CC's test result?

How old are the strips you used? If the SWG is producing chlorine, that's really all that counts as far as salt level...........that said, let me repeat your SLAM will go much smoother if you shut off the SWG until the SLAM is complete.

CC is less than .5 and ONFCL Is less than .5. The test strips used are from last year. I had the swg turned off during most of the slam but figured that with the ONFCL being less than .5 the swg would be able to make enough chlorine to maintain but I guess I'll turn it back off until water is completely clear and I'm ready to maintain at normal levels. I have kept the CYA level low during the slam and was going to bring it back up for the swg once the pool cleared up. This way I didn't go through so much chlorine bleach during the slam.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.