Need Help on next step, Organic Stain acidently treated with AA

May 19, 2009
I've always had a metals problem that lead to absorbic acid cleaning that i did annually. This year I pulled cover off and "ASSUMED" I was looking at metal stain. I had no chlorine and my water was balanced and I added 2 lbs AA and nothing happened. I then added 2 more pounds AA. Now I know than I am probably dealing with Organic stain which the AA doesn't help, But what is my next step - Do I need to wait out the absorbic acid for 5-7 days or can I start adding Chlorine and shock now? Slowly bring CHlorine level up? Should I add a sequestant for the AA?

I know I didn't start off right by indentifing the type of stain I have - just need advice on where I'm to go from here.

23000 gallons
vinyl
sand filter

Shanon

If there wasn't any change in the stains, you can go ahead and add chlorine now. You can add chlorine much more quickly than you normally would with an AA treatment, but you still want to go in batches watching until the FC level holds for an hour or more. Just at first the left over AA will consume the chlorine. Once you get past that, things should be back to normal.

The more complex case is if you had metal stains that lifted in some areas and also have organic stains. Then you want to perform the AA treatment normally and deal with the organic stains in a week or two.

I did not notice any improvement with the AA treament, but I have metal stains before. Thanks for your help. I'm going to start adding chlorine. How high do I need to get Chlorine level to remove organic stain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.