Very high chlorine

KWin

May 3, 2014
Mesa, az
Hi all, I just bought a house that has a pool, my first one. I have been reading on here and got my TF-100 yesterday. So I did my FAS-DPD test and got a crazy high chlorine level, like I stopped adding at 100 drops. It never got clear but it did stop changing color at a lemonade like yellow/white after about 50 drops.

I tried doing some other tests but they didn't really come out either, guessing because of the high chlorine.

Just to be sure I was doing it right I did a Taylor daily test and the water turned like red I will try attaching a pic.

The water is clear and the pool looks fine I am just wondering if it is okay that the chlorine is that high? Also should I just let time run it's course to lower it or should I dump water?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 215
To elaborate more. The water does not have to go clear, it should mostly, but you are always looking for the point where adding more drops does not change the color.

I am guessing you FC is in the 20s, which may not be too high depending on your CYA level.

Oh and no need to dump water. It will come down.
How did it get so high?

I have no idea how it got that high, I am guessing the previous home owner just dumped a ton of chlorine when they left to keep the pool from going green (which can be a pretty big ticket out here if the police chopper see's it from what I here).

When did you take possession of the house and pool?

I got the keys last week and never added anything, but there was a floaty in there. I have since taken that out, I think the house was vacant for about 7 weeks but someone had to be taking some form of care of it.

Well. Time to start looking forward.

How did you do the CYA test? What kind of lighting? If it is that high, the first step will have to be replacing water.

They must have recently refilled the pool for the CH to be that low in AZ. Too bad they used all those tablets (and likely Dichlor powder chlorine) and got the CYA so high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what I understand if the chopper flies over and they see it green they can cite you for a code infraction. I suppose it's the same as citing you for an overgrown yard or a car parked in your yard. But for the money it costs to fly those things you would think they had something else to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Would I have to lower the CYA? Or can I just live with it like that? Is there any detrimental effect to it being that high

Just wanted to update and get your guys opinion. So we moved into the house, and I have since retested for everything. I have added no chlorine yet so about 4 weeks and the tests are getting better so here is how she sits today.
FC 22 to the lemonade color won't go clear
Cc 0
Ta 150
CH 330 never really gets red but turns dark pink
Cya just below the 100 graduation.
Ph 7.6
So I really is just wondering what you guys think. Also it's been 4 weeks and the chlorine is still in the twenties should it take this long to come down?

Also the pool needs major work soon, new waterline tile and a plaster job, although I will probably go pebble sheen. And waterline tile. Can I get away with these numbers through the summer. I was thinking of just keeping FC at about 17 with my CYA sound okay?

Your CYA level is a lot higher than you think it is. The CYA test will report anything over 100 as 100, so who knows how high it actually is.

By the time you get the CYA level down to something reasonable, the FC level will come down.

Also, with FC that high you can't use the PH test, so ignore that PH result and retest PH as soon as FC comes down below 10.

I know everyone hates pool stores but if you have one close and this is your first pool and first time testing I'd take a sample in just to compare. Seems odd the FC is so high and you haven't added any chlorine. I think your FC target with a CYA of around 100 would be 12.
The numbers seem to be at the high limit but acceptable if you didn't want to try and put them more to the middle of the range.

- - - Updated - - -

Jason, would you suggest dumping about a quarter of the pools water, refill and retest the CYA ??

Jason, would you suggest dumping about a quarter of the pools water, refill and retest the CYA ??
I would start by doing the CYA test with dilution: mix equal parts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test with that, multiply the result by two. That will tell us if I am correct or not. If CYA is really well over 200, as I suspect, way more than 1/4 of the water will need to be replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.