Going on vacation-- how to prepare

Oct 26, 2013
Chapin, SC
So, I'm leaving home around the 24th and will be gone up to 3 weeks. I'm thinking I should provide for a 2-2.5 fc loss per day while I'm gone and factor that to set my si-45 to run for 8hrs @ 80% the time I'm away. I'm also thinking to build my fc up to 10ppm prior to leaving to provide a buffer just in case my real fc loss is higher than 2.5 / day. Am I thinking correctly? If not, what might you suggest?

With a SWG, you really should not have to change anything if you have the output dialed in. You could bump it up slightly to ensure it does not get low. I would also lower the pH a good bit too counter the rise while you are gone.

I'm really concerned about the quickly changing conditions that can happen in 21 days, and and to prepare for that as best i can. Just today, I've reached my goal of 5ppm having turned off my cell for three days losing 1ppm each of those days. My current water temp is 75, but my guess is it'll be in the 80s before I leave. I really haven't had it dialed in yet. But starting tomorrow, I'm going to do my best to do so. I hadn't thought about lowering the pH until you just suggested it-- actually, I haven't noticed much increase if any at all since I've had the swg. Thanks!!!

Hey timerguy, Do you have a trusted friend that can come over once or twice a week to run some test on it? If you're really concerned about the SWG and it's manufacturing of chlorine, maybe you can just shut it off, SLAM the pool and cover it while running your pump and let a buddy keep an eye on it. Maybe bribe him with a few beers in the fridge as incentive to get over there weekly! :mrgreen: This is where pucks could come in handy too. :goodjob:

Leaving for that long will make it VERY difficult to keep the pool clear without somebody checking up on it. Do all you can to try to keep the FC elevated, however don't be surprised if you need to SLAM upon returning. As an added precaution I'd think about adding a dose of Polyquat 60 algicide before departing. It's normally not needed, however for $20 it adds another layer of insurance.

Thanks for all your input. However, I bought the SWG so I could at least hope to keep my chlorine levels where they need to be while I'm gone--I'm NOT about to turn it off!!! I understand that won't keep debris from getting in my pool. I hope my neighbor across the street who also has a salt pool will be willing to help keep it clean every couple of days and untangle my polaris hose if necessary while I'm gone.

Now to my original question: I'm thinking I should provide for a 2-2.5 fc loss per day while I'm gone and factor that to set my si-45 to run for 8hrs @ 80% the time I'm away. I'm also thinking to build my fc up to 10ppm prior to leaving to provide a buffer just in case my real fc loss is higher than 2.5 / day which I doubt, but just in case. Am I thinking correctly? If not, what might you suggest? Your thoughts and answers to those questions would be very much appreciated.

Three weeks is too long to have any confidence that the pool will remain clean. Having a SWG changes it from absolutely no way, to maybe 50/50 odds of success, but doesn't come close to making it certain to work out.

The starting FC level has nothing to do with it. Any starting chlorine will be gone well before the end of the first week. Just turn the percentage up a bit above where you normally keep it, and hope for the best.

I'm currently running it @ 55% for 6 hours yesterday it increased my fc by net .5ppm to 5.5. I'm hoping 80% for 8hrs, possibly longer, depending on the status the day before leaving, will keep my fc at where I'd like it or even higher. All my other numbers look pretty good:
Last evening's #s
FC: 5.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 80
CH: 90
Cya: 80 been stable since I increased it a few weeks ago.
I have a couple gals of muriatic acid so, if you think I should drop it a bit just in case, I can do that. I also have 26 lbs of baking soda to raise my TA back up

Yes, I went to Pool Math and did the computations to lower it to 7.2 as you said, no need to raise TA as its only going to decrease. 7.x something. But, I just went out to check the % of my ma -- nothing on the label that I could find!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jason and Jason!!! I'll do the pH a couple days before I leave. Adjust my swg the day before and hope for the best. My ma was bought last year does it decrease its potency during storage? I have a big plastic measuring cup, is the acid going to mess it up?

Have you searched for those answers, because I know at least the first one has been answered a few times in the last week.
Depends on the type of plastic I imagine ... after all it comes in a plastic jug.

And you think chemistry changes in 4 years? ;)

I know it was discussed at least twice in the last week in various threads.

I would never recommend using glass around the pool ... for drinking, measuring, or furniture.

vacation was a success story--finally got my si-45 to give accurate salt levels

Discount salt pools sent me a cell to replace one that was providing extremely high salt levels. If arrived late yesterday afternoon.
Control box this morning 7:00 am:
Average salt= 6000
Instant salt= 6200 which has been typical since late May. Has been generating chlorine all along--never shut down due to high salt like it should have been.

Installed replacement cell 8:00 am
@ 9am after running for almost an hour:
Average=4200
Instant=3700 last Taylor test (Saturday) was 3800 WAHOOO!!!!!

Like Richard said raise the water level. How much water do you lose a week? If it is too much and it drops below the skimmer that might cause a pump failure. My pool drops around 2" a week and that would be a problem for my pool. If you have to, buy a cover and that will keep the water from evaporating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.