Chlorine Stick In Light Niche?

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
In the past algae has found my light niche to be a cozy little hangout. After installing a Liquidator last fall, I have some leftover chlorine sticks. Would it work to put a chlorine stick in the light niche periodically to make the niche a little less hospitable to the algae? (I have a zinc anode attached to the light.)

While I don't know for sure, I'm going to guess that's not a good idea. You would be making a very small area with a small volume of water VERY acidic. If you're concerned, either disconnect it and clean in every once in awhile, or use a hose to flush it out. Ideally if the rest of the pool is properly chlorinated, it would be very difficult for algae to find its way down and back there.

In the past I've scrubbed the niche and poured liquid chlorine behind the light using a funnel and short length of hose while SLAMming. The niche was the reservoir for the algae. I was hoping the chlorine stick could be used as a preventative. Oh well.

Just took my light out thinking there was algae behind it. Long story but I couldn't get my light out at first so I used the hose from my vacuum, disconnected from the vacuum of course, and blasted water all around the edge of the light. I did this three days in a row while slamming. The first two days junk came out from behind the light. The second day I did that until nothing came out. The third day nothing came out at all. I got the light out on the fourth day and the niche was nice and clean. I would guess if you did this once a month or so it would keep the niche nice and clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.