New pool owner - no suction at skimmer - various other questions

Hi All,

I bought a house with a pool in December, and it was just opened today, but I have a few questions/issues. It's a 16x34 with SWG, solar heating, Sand filter. There is no bottom drain, just a skimmer on one side, and a downward angled pipe on the other side.

First question is regarding the skimmer, there is no suction. I am not sure if the line is clogged, or if it was just not opened properly? I took a look and there are 2 holes at the bottom, one seem to be plugged, and no suction from either

Second question is regarding the Jandy valve position, and may be related to the skimmer. What position should it be in?

Also, the pressure gauge on the filter seems to be pegged. never changes, even when pump is off, and gauge is disconnected.

Third question would be regarding the actuator for the solar panels. what position should it be in? It's a Pentair, control panel says Compool Lx220. on the actuator there is an On1, Off, On2 selector switch.

Pics attached. Any help you can give would be appreciated!
Skimmer
Skimmer.jpg

Other side, not sure what this is for?
Other.jpg

Solar Actuator... what position?
Actuator.jpg

Jandy Valve... what position?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10511230/Pool/Jandy.jpg

Gauge?
guage.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

The pressure gauge is broken, and should be replaced.

The solar valve is currently in the 100% of water goes to the solar panels position. Turn it 180 degrees to prevent water from going to the solar panels.

It is tricky to figure out the skimmer no suction issue without more information. Is the pump strainer basket full of water? And it would be nice to know the filter pressure when the pump is on (when the gauge gets fixed).

Thanks for the quick reply!

How about the Jandy valve I just guessed the current position. I tried all positions, I put the handle to the right, and there is no flow on the pump. In the middle or to the left and it works. I'm thinking one side is the angles tube inlet, other side is skimmer, and when I put it to the left it is only skimmer which is not working, so thats why no flow through the pump?

valve.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

The pressure gauge is broken, and should be replaced.

The solar valve is currently in the 100% of water goes to the solar panels position. Turn it 180 degrees to prevent water from going to the solar panels.

It is tricky to figure out the skimmer no suction issue without more information. Is the pump strainer basket full of water? And it would be nice to know the filter pressure when the pump is on (when the gauge gets fixed).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.