Test Kit arrived, I have my values.

Aug 4, 2013
Oklahoma
I ordered the TF-100 test kit, It arrived this week. Here are my values.

CH=325
FC=1
CC=1
TC=2
TA=100
CYA=0
Borate=0
Salt=3600
PH=8

I have to tell you, we are having serious problems keeping prime with this pump. We have been checking a lot of different things and are about to buy new pump. We have concluded this must be the problem. Because of this we cannot leave it running unattended.

Let me know your ideas.

Thanks

You need to get your CYA level up a bit, or you will sloe all of your chlorine to sunlight each day.

If the CC reading remains above 0.5 you should SLAM the pool.

You should never allow the PH to get above 7.8.

Agree with Jason. I'm sorry I can not help with your pump.

The pump is about 3 foot higher than the pool. We've been checking for suction side leaks. We have replaced the pump lid gasket, are not using lube. When we establish prime, it is never complete, not only are there bubbles, there's quite a bit of air in there swirling around with the water. No vortex in the skimmer. This last swim season was our first with this pool. We had a tough time getting prime a lot. There were times when we had great prime. Now this new season, we haven't been able to accomplish complete prime yet. We've been trying for a couple of weeks now and are at the end of our rope. Last season we had a guy from our local pool store come out and watch our priming process. He said we were going about the proper steps, but even he couldn't get it to prime. He did say at that time, the pump is probably about aged out. So with the problems at hand, its probably time.

Is the impeller clean and clear?

What's happening is that there isn't enough vacuum being created in the pump basket to suck the water from the pool to the pump. I don't think it's necessarily a pump problem per se, but a clogged impeller would sorta be a pump problem (though very fixable). Either there is a blockage in the suction line, or most likely, somewhere on the suction side the vacuum is being broken. Inspect the oring on the pump basket lid, and lube it up before installing it. Do you have any fittings that are above ground between the skimmer and the pump? Is the drain plug in the pump snug? Any water leaking anywhere between the pump and the filter?

Don't use Vaseline either! There is special Pool Lube you can get at Lowes or the pool store.

Hi,

So a friend was here this weekend and he knows some about pool pump systems. Got into the pump , yes there was a stone in there. Got that out. He also took a look at the sand filter. The big handle at the top that is used to switch from filter, to backwash etc. He said this gasket under this is bad. Not making a good seal. We tried to buy a new seal, no one at 3 different pool stores had one. It is now ordered. Still can't get prime. He is coming back when we get the seal to look more closely at this mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.