New Pool Build in North Texas - McKinney

Mar 4, 2014
McKinney, TX
We decided to pull the trigger and have a pool built. It will be the 1st pool build so I'm almost fully in the dark on what to expect besides what I've read on here. Please provide any feedback and/or recommendations to watch for.

Here are the Specs:

34' x 17' Custom Free Form
Depth: 3.5' to 5.5'
14,000 Gallons
Area: 410 sq.ft.
Finish: Stonescapes Mini Pebble - Aqua Blue
Coping: Tennessee Flagstone
Deck: 433 sq.ft. Roman Slate Textured
Tequila Table
Large 9' wide x 7' long tanning ledge
13' Tennessee Flagstone bench add on next to existing patio near fire pit.
2.5" Suction Lines
GMP Gunite with Lifetime warranty

Spa: 12" raised spa with tiered spillway and neck roll 1" tiles
5 Jets
Hayward LED Spa light

Equipment:
Hayward Ecostar VSP
Hayward D.E. 60s.f. filter
Hayward LED Pool Light
Hayward Aqua Connect PS/4 with smart phone
Hayward Polaris 280 - Black
Paramount Ozone 3
RB 320 Inline Chlorinator
400k BTU Heater

pool.jpgpool3.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A few thoughts:
1. Ditch the ozone. Waste of money in private outdoor residential pools.
2. Ditch the Rainbow chlorinator. Trichlor tablets are not a long term solution, especially in areas that do not close in the winter like yours.
3. Since you are getting flagstone like every other pool in Texas, that will eliminate a SWG system for you. So, if you want to automate the chlorine delivery, you will have to look at Stenner pump systems.

Make sure you read through Pool School many times to learn about the chemistry. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And order one of the Recommended Test Kits before the pool is filled.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also seriously consider eliminating the 280 pressure cleaner and booster and looking at robots. Not very efficient to have to run 2 pumps every time you want to run the cleaner.

You will never go wrong with a TF100 XL test kit!

Read Pool School while in the building process!

Welcome to TFP :wave: Keep the pics coming!!!

Welcome neighbor! Waving from Frisco! I am almost done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In ground 15x27. 84 feet perimeter; Gallons 12,800; Jandy VSP; Jandy DE60; Jandy LXI 400k NG; Barrcuda T5; 2 pool led lights; 1 spa Led light; aqua blue pebble sheen

In additional to the feedback so far, I always recommend trying to view actual pools with features you desire (not just showroom and pictures). That will give you an idea of how certain features hold up over time as well as an indication of how your builder implements them.

Also, in looking at the picture, I see a fire pit on the deck. Does this already exist? If not (and if it's planned), be sure to check McKinney codes for the minimum distance required from the house (some cities specify 10' (or more) from the perimeter of the fire pit).

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestions.

As the pool build begins what we feared happened...6 inches of soil and then nothing but grey/blue rock. Needless to say it took awhile longer to dig everything out.

"Supposedly" due to the rock, we were required to have lots of small rocks laid back in to assist the next step. This was of course an additional charge as was rock time but were still not quite sure the need for the small rocks. Too much rock was taken away in some parts such as the tanning ledge which I hope won't be an issue when they have to come out further with the rebar.

Debating whether 2 LED pool lights are needed to get ample coverage and of course still not 100% sold on aqua blue mini pebble. We want a blue/darker blue color and are going with black fittings in the pool area instead of white. Next possible would be Tropics blue and our pool will be getting sun all summer long as front of house faces South.

We laid the fire pit down with temporary stones so will be relocating that on the new deck after pool is built.

The whole chemical process is way beyond me, it seems like there is so much that needs to be tested and that can be added into the pool. I'm the type that wants to learn it all and do myself rather then pay someone. Please provide more detail regarding what the Stenner Pump will do and if the ozone is really not worth it. We were told it would help make the water easier on our eyes, skin and hair.

3f59d7ab-9253-4924-b143-590983553d82_zpsce7c1871.jpg

photo1_zpsa51a47ec.jpg

photo1_zpsb71d780d.jpg

photo5_zps6043b079.jpg
photo2_zpsc52c8de3.jpg

Here is the 1" tiles we were debating on and most likely going with the darker blue along tile line around pool and the neck roll in spa. Going from top of picture down is Tropic blue, Aqua blue and then Tahoe Blue.
Tile_zps516c986b.jpg

The stenner will just add the liquid chlorine for you. Read Pool School to learn about the chemistry.

Search the forum for more info about ozone if you don't want to believe me ... which is understandable ;)

Forgot to mention on the pool lights - our pool is essentially the same size as yours - I would think you definitely need two lights in the pool. My PB had designed it with both at the deep end and with the orientation of ours, that would have had them shining into our faces from the patio. I had them place one offset at the deep end and one diagonally across in the shallow end. They light the whole pool nicely that way. The experts here may be able to give you suggestions on where to place yours for maximum effect.

Debating whether 2 LED pool lights are needed to get ample coverage
My pool is similarly sized and I have two lights (facing away from house) and two were definitely needed.

and of course still not 100% sold on aqua blue mini pebble. We want a blue/darker blue color and are going with black fittings in the pool area instead of white. Next possible would be Tropics blue and our pool will be getting sun all summer long as front of house faces South.
I have the Stonescapes Tropics Blue mini pebble. Check out my build thread in my signature for pictures of the finished color.

Please provide more detail regarding what the Stenner Pump will do and if the ozone is really not worth it. We were told it would help make the water easier on our eyes, skin and hair.
The Ozone claim is that it essentially optimizes your chlorine effectiveness. Chlorine combines with organic and nitrogen-containing compounds (body oils, suntan lotions, etc) to form chloramines. Chloramines are responsible for the eye and skin irritations associated with chlorinated water. Ozone causes organic and nitrogen compounds to break apart which makes more free chlorine available. (taken from the waterquality.net site)

Many in the forum don't think Ozone is worth the extra expense. The common sentiment is it isn't need on an outdoor residential pool. However, I haven't seen much real scientific discussion around the merits or quantifying the level of use where it becomes more beneficial. For example, normalizing for pool size - at what point does the level of usage approach that of a commercial pool? What would a good set of tests be to determine the benefit? I didn't do any really deep analysis, but those were questions I never really saw answered well. I decided to get an Ozone unit given the relatively high usage I was expecting to have. I have 6-8 people in my pool 3-4 times per week (5-7x per week in the summer) for 3-8 hours at a time (we started swimming 3-4 times per week in April)....and most of those people are girls...so makeup, lotion, etc will wash off in the pool. Worst case is I wasted a few hundred dollars. Best case is I save on chlorine, shock less, and run at slightly lower chlorine levels. If I had less usage of the pool, I wouldn't have gotten it.

chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Going off of the birds eye view of our plan, where do you think the best location would be for adding a second pool LED? I'm thinking the current one would need to move left more towards the return line and the second one be added near the tequila table.

Trying to get a good distribution of light but not sure how these Hayward LED lights spread.

Going off of the birds eye view of our plan, where do you think the best location would be for adding a second pool LED? I'm thinking the current one would need to move left more towards the return line and the second one be added near the tequila table.

Trying to get a good distribution of light but not sure how these Hayward LED lights spread.

That sounds like a good placement to me. Mine are Pentair so I don't know but I'm sure someone who has the Hayward can comment.

Wow, it's only the 4th working day and they have all the equipment delivered...heater, VS pump, filter and all. Only problem is the placement of the pad is outside my gate as they will be extending the gate another 16 or so feet to make sure it's all locked inside our gate.

Am a little nervous about the security of the equipment. Wonder if they take responsibility if any of it goes missing.

Love the tile

In ground, 15x27, 80 feet perimeter, 3'6 to 5 feet deep, 13,000 gallons, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, Jandy VSP, Jandy DE 60, Jandy LXI, Nature 2 Ozone, 2 pool LED lights, 1 Spa LED light pebble tech aqua blue. Frisco,
Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunite being sprayed tomorrow and finalized our decisions with the 1" tile on the neck roll and around the water line along with using Aqua blue Stonescapes mini.

Looking good .... Yes another Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble! That is what we chose ... We love our finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.