Smelly pool water

Hammy

Jul 4, 2008
I have an above ground pool 18 foot circular, 48 inches deep. never had much of a problem with the pool for the past 8 year but this year sudddenly the wayer smeels bad. it has a strong metallic oder. I did have the water tested and they said it's perfect, yet the water is a little cloudy and green and ofcourse the smell is bad. I have vacuumed to get the algae out. But even in the past with algae I never had an issue with my pool smelling. Any ideas?

You'd need to post some test results for answers that are more than guesses. Cloudy, green water says the water chemistry is wrong. Pool stores in general don't know anything about maintaining pool water.

well I took a sample up to leslies
Free avalible chlorine 2.0
Water PH 7.6
total alkalinity 100
calcium 150
cyanuris acid 60

no idea what it could be. I do have some powdered chlorine that got wet, I have been using that. not sure of that could be causing the problems or not.

It's not really green as much today, a little cloudy which can be cured with some clearifer. The smell seems a bit better but still there.

With your CYA at 60, you need to maintain a higher FC level to keep the pool sanitized. Richard's chart in Pool School at http://www.troublefreepool.com/category/pool-school/ recommends a minimum chlorine level of 5ppm at all times, and a shock level of 24ppm. If you raise your FC to at least 15ppm and hold it there for a few days, you should see a noticable improvement in your water quality.

Hammy said:
I have an above ground pool 18 foot circular, 48 inches deep. never had much of a problem with the pool for the past 8 year but this year sudddenly the wayer smeels bad. it has a strong metallic oder. I did have the water tested and they said it's perfect, yet the water is a little cloudy and green and ofcourse the smell is bad. I have vacuumed to get the algae out. But even in the past with algae I never had an issue with my pool smelling. Any ideas?

Do you have a pool frog or a Nature 2 pool sanitizer...They add metals to the water as a way of sanitizing...that could be the cause of the metallic smell...Also the green could be from the copper...have the water tested for copper if you have either one of these itmes running on your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.