new pool pump wont prime

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
we just finished getting our pool installed and the pump either wont prime or when it does takes forever. i bought my own pump so of course the builder is blaming it on the pump. I have a Jandy FHPM1.0-2 FloPro Medium Head 1HP Up-Rated Dual Speed Pool Pump, 230V. i have tried everything i can think of. backwash sand filter, run on waste or backwash as well as filter setting. i have filled the basket with a hose (or at least tried to, even when i run a hose it will not overflow and no sign of water coming out in the skimmer so not sure where the water is going?) i have also put a hose down the skimmer. every 10 times it will prime the rest it just sits. i have checked the seal on the lid for debris and hand titghened it all I can. no luck. pump is a bit over the water level but no more than 3 feet. it is approx 20 feet from the pool as well. they did put a reduction right at the filter from 2 inch down to 1.5 inch, not sure the reason they did this. any help would be appreciated, really want to get this thing going. not sure if it is an issue with the pump or they have an air leak in the lines they installed? i saw them leak test and did not see anything but no telling if they did damage when backfilling? by the way fiberglass pool around 17k gallons swg, sand filter nothing else hooked up very simple setup overall.

Those symptoms suggest either an air leak or debris in the impeller. If you remove the pump strainer basket you should be able to reach some fingers into the impeller chamber and see if there is any debris there. Of course only do that with the power off.

For air leaks, the simplest answers are either the water level is low allowing air to get into the skimmer, or a bad seal around the pump strainer basket lid.

Also, if you have more than one source of water and valves to control things, try turning off all of the sources of water except one and see if it will prime then. If that one doesn't work, switch the valves to a different source and try again.

i think i got it figured out. at my last pool i could but this one wont let me pull/prime it while set to backwash or waste. if i put it on filter it will prime and then i can switch it over to waste/backwash. it seems to be working fine now. i got it cleaned up and am adding salt as we speak. thanks for the help and I will be watching close for any air leaks while i still have the warranty on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.