Dissolving CYA

George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
As we all know liquid CYA is expensive. Is there any way to speed dissolving powdered CYA? Hot water on the stove, for example? I hesitate to dump it in my skimmer since I might have to backwash before its dissolved, and it would be difficult to tell when its dissolved. I've been using old stockings filled with CYA and suspended in front of the return jets.

Thanks!

Edit......Signature fixed.
Leebo

I put one whole (3lb?) container in a sock last weekend and as I sat near a skimmer and squeeze and massage the sock it almost all "seemingly" dissolved. I know it may not be dissolved in the water entirely but it's not in the sock any more. I'd say pretty well dissolved though because my CYA went up the expected amount between last weekend and this weekend as per pool math. If it makes you feel better NOT to have it in the sock, keep squeezing the sock.

It can't hurt right?

I've also done the stocking/massage in front of the return routine. The massage usually releases a "plume" of CYA, whether dissolved or just really fine particles I don't know. Also don't know how much ends up on the pool floor, but at least its not in the filter. Thanks to all for the responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.