Algae and CYA Problem

May 3, 2014
pa
27'AG 48" Tested CYA I have a reading around 100. Been checking the site appears from my research that the best thing to do is to drain it half way and refill. I have a frog chlorine dispenser. Should I use it after I get everything in check?

Is that frog the mineral based sanitizer? If it is, you should really pitch it. As far as you can!

Just to make sure your CYA isn't actually higher than 100, dilute you pool sample 1 to 1 with tap water, and retest. Then multiply the results by 2 to get a close estimate of the true level.

The best part is that you'll never have to be pool stored again.

If you haven't already, purchase a TF100 XL. It is the best test kit out there. And check out the speed stir while you're at it! It's pretty cool!

Drain and refill and retest the pool water. Post results and we'll help you get a hold of your pool water and maintenance.

Did you kill that frog yet? Seriously... get rid of it!!! All it will do is stain your pool liner and turn every beautiful blonde haired beauty that enters your pool green!

Free water testing is worth about what you pay for it. Pool stores are in business to sell you mostly unneeded chemicals for your pool, as you are finding out.

Pool store employee: Sure, We'll test your water for free. We'll give you recommendations on what you need to buy from us to "fix" your pool, using the shotgun approach. Just hand over your wallet and your left arm and leg!

Anyhow got the free test while waiting for the kit.
17,000 gal ag pool sand filter
TA 140
ph 7.3
TH 200
FC .3
TC .3
CA 88
Pool calculator says to do drain 55% of water and refill. I will start to drain after work today. Anything else I should be aware of. On the print out they say the CA is acceptable. I don't think so. They give their chemical advice that I'm not getting into.

That's IF your cya is 100. There's just as likely a chance it's way above that, especially if you're using a pool store test. Even with a good test kit, the test is only accurate to100 or less. If it reads 100, it can be anything above it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.