Help! Too much suction when vacuuming!

Jun 9, 2013
Hello. Since we replaced our old cartridge filter with a DE filter I have way too much suction when I attempt to vacuum. The vacuum head attaches itself to the pool floor and won't budge and the hose collapses. I have to run to the skimmer and pull the hose out. Can anyone tell from the photo if the bottom drain valve is closed?

Pool parts.jpg

You only have one suction line entering the pump. So your floor would likely be plumbed into your skimmer. Do you have 2 holes in the skimmer? a skimmer plate for vacuuming may help either way.

The other hole likely is connected to the floor. Do you have a float diverter under the basket? That and a skimmer plate over the basket would get you up and running.

No, there isn't anything under the basket. I'll have to "google" a float diverter, I don't know what it is. So the skimmer plate goes on top of the basket? What holds it down? Does it matter that the hole connected to the floor has no suction?

Amended: I googled the float diverter...and I have one! I never knew what it was for, as it wasn't in the skimmer when we purchased our house.

So, if I put the diverter in, then the basket, then a skimmer plate on top of the basket I should be able to vacuum?

Right. The diverter should have a flap that will force some of the suction from the floor (without it you likely get none from the floor). So that will reduce the suction from the skimmer. The plate will allow you to hook up the vacuum hose since the diverter and basket are in the way. It is held on by the suction.

You will just have to play with the diverter flap to reduce the suction for the vacuum enough to not get stuck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.