I have a hole in teh worst possible place of my vinyl liner

The Raddish

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
I have an Aqualuminator, and it came with a fountain attachment. I tried to install the attachment for the first time this year, and in the process the back of the fountain attachment ripped a small hole in the downstream side of the liner, almost directly under the Aqualuminator!

Any advice on the best way to repair this hole as reliably as possible, seeing as how it gets a LOT of direct stream?

I'll try to post a pic later if I can find my waterproof case for my camera.

Would not a large clear patch work? I have seen it done on vinyl above ground blow up pools and am quite shocked at how it holds, let alone how that sticky gluey stuff works under water

I know my PB sells the stuff to repair Vinyl, suggest a trip to them with either drawings or pictures.

Rik

That's what I'm going to try tomorrow, but my concern is that the patch has to go so close to the return hole, and underneath the Aqualuminator return. I wasn't sure if a patch would hold so close to the return like that, especially since it is on the downstream side of the return.

I'll try patching it tomorrow.

Raddish - I've had my A/Lum for 4 years now, and did the same thing this year but on top instead of the bottom, th rip was about 1/2" x 1/4" and tucked under. I removed the bulb housing, stuffed a towel through the hole to hold back the water and used a 2"x2" patch, flipped the tuck back out, glued the patch on, really did my best to get the edges flat, reinstalled everything - it's holding just fine, I expect yours will too, especially if you get the edges set well and keep the flow from it for a few days while it cures.
Even if I have to replace the patch again later in the season, it won't be a big problem.

Here's a trick you can do which will be more permanent when you close your pool for the winter......

Take waster down 2" below return, remove A/Lum completely, patch from the backside AND the front side.
If you don't mind a HUGE patch, then patch the entire return opening about 3" beyond all sides front AND back and cut out your hole again through both patch layers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.