Sashimi! Delicious or just Bait?

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
I’m nearing a trip back to Japan and will soon have to switch to my Asian-Stomach. Seven years ago I would not sit at the same table with raw fish, squid and eel. Now I look forward to it. Not pool related, just wanted to share my food-fanatic pics. Whatta think? Delicacy or just bait?

77806_10151215532662246_979353708_o.jpg

202814_10151203027527246_1326721351_o.jpg

77865_10151215532362246_1997170196_o.jpg

Breakfast

289373_10151203027657246_1520689313_o.jpg

Bait! :mrgreen:

I don't do seafood... let alone raw fish! :pukel:

Just got back from 2-1/2 week trip to Japan. Most unique meal was eating 2 live squid. They prepare it by peeling the outer body off, slicing that part into strips at a diagonal, laying it back onto the main part of the body, and then serving it. The squid is alive, eyes are moving, tentacles are moving, skin is changing colors although mostly clear. After you're done eating the diagonal strips, they take the main part of the body away, cut it up, bread and deep fry it (main body and tentacles minus eyeballs), and bring it back for your enjoyment. Definitely the most unique thing I've ever had. Full disclosure - my wife is Japanese so I've had some preparation for this sort of thing.

IMG_1014.jpg

I prefer my food dead when I eat it. I am a hunter. I shoot to kill and not maim my dinner and eating something alive is just... unethical IMO. To each their own.

Forgot to mention my view that raw fish and sushi is a delicacy, however it's got to be prepared by a competent sushi chef. I wouldn't judge it by the stuff you find in supermarkets or at a conveyer sushi place.

gtemkin said:
...my view that raw fish and sushi is a delicacy, however it's got to be prepared by a competent sushi chef.
Very true. Here in town, there are only a few places that I go and all of them have a great reputation for having competent sushi chefs. When traveling, I have never pulled into the first sushi bar I find. Whenever I have sushi/sashimi on the road, I'm always with a knowledgeable host.

I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of guy and that includes my share of seafood, the overwhelming majority of which I consume is cooked (usually broiled/grilled). While I do occasionally (1-2 X per year) partake in sushi and sashimi, that's about as far as I go. I don't ever see me crossing over the line into such fare as live squid, monkey brains, shark fin soup, and the like.

Mmmmmm. I fish for tuna and have had it while still at sea. One vote for delicious
I've had the opportunity, but have yet to try it still warm! But, I have brought it to work just hours old-My Japanese coworkers think I'm "The Man"!!!
MMMMmmmm ... Sushi ... I've never tried sashimi ... I get too distracted by the yummy sushi before I get there ... mmmm ... sushi ...
+1
Bait! :mrgreen:

I don't do seafood... let alone raw fish! :pukel:
My Tuna-fishing buddy doesn't partake either!
Just got back from 2-1/2 week trip to Japan. Most unique meal was eating 2 live squid. They prepare it by peeling the outer body off, slicing that part into strips at a diagonal, laying it back onto the main part of the body, and then serving it. The squid is alive, eyes are moving, tentacles are moving, skin is changing colors although mostly clear. After you're done eating the diagonal strips, they take the main part of the body away, cut it up, bread and deep fry it (main body and tentacles minus eyeballs), and bring it back for your enjoyment. Definitely the most unique thing I've ever had. Full disclosure - my wife is Japanese so I've had some preparation for this sort of thing.
Wow, now that is unique! And the pic is impressive as well! With a Japanese wife, I can imagine you are very well fed (healthy as well). What part of Japan did/do you visit? I'm convinced I would also try the squid; came close to trying the Blow/puffer fish last visit.
I enjoy both sushi and sashimi. Neither is a staple of my diet, but I do partake when the opportunity presents itself.

Very true. Here in town, there are only a few places that I go and all of them have a great reputation for having competent sushi chefs. When traveling, I have never pulled into the first sushi bar I find. Whenever I have sushi/sashimi on the road, I'm always with a knowledgeable host.

I'm an "all things in moderation" kind of guy and that includes my share of seafood, the overwhelming majority of which I consume is cooked (usually broiled/grilled). While I do occasionally (1-2 X per year) partake in sushi and sashimi, that's about as far as I go. I don't ever see me crossing over the line into such fare as live squid, monkey brains, shark fin soup, and the like.
Agree with the freshness requirement. Isn't it amazing where we can find sushi now-days? Will never accept a fill-up and sushi to-go :eek:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, now that is unique! And the pic is impressive as well! With a Japanese wife, I can imagine you are very well fed (healthy as well). What part of Japan did/do you visit? I'm convinced I would also try the squid; came close to trying the Blow/puffer fish last visit.

My 16 year old boy snagged an 8 week exchange student session with a High School near Kagoshima, Kyushu. We flew over to get him settled and then spent 1-1/2 weeks driving all over Kyushu. As you know, the Japanese are big foodies and their travel brochures always give top billing to the food at your destination. My wife likes squid and read about an area in northern Kyushu that was known for unique squid preparations. We drove there and went to a restaurant listed in her brochure. If you Google Maps "
Kabe-shima Yobukocho Kabeshima Karatsu, Saga, Japan" you'll see where the island is.

By the way, driving there can be a challenge for folks coming from the US. Almost got us killed several times. I own a right-hand car in the states but it's still a challenge to drive on the other side of the road. GPS is absolutely mandatory if you want to get anywhere and of course having someone who can read Japanese is a big big plus. Hence, organized tours, which even the Japanese prefer, are probably the best way to go.

I agree agree agree with the competent chef part!! Anyone who has eaten sushi only from a prep packaged deli (like California rolls in the grocery store) ... or that are already prepared sitting on a buffet ... bleh - that isn't good sushi! You gotta go to a good Japanese restaurant and order it where someone prepares it on the spot ... there just is no comparison. And I would say that 80% of the sushi I eat is cooked meat ... not raw ... most people thing sushi is raw fish - but not so! It is also a common misconception that it is expensive ... and generally I can get a good sushi meal with soup, salad, and a beer for $25

Now I am getting hungry!

Throw some grill lines on a cow or deer n I'm there!!! :mrgreen:

My 16 year old boy snagged an 8 week exchange student session with a High School near Kagoshima, Kyushu. We flew over to get him settled and then spent 1-1/2 weeks driving all over Kyushu. As you know, the Japanese are big foodies and their travel brochures always give top billing to the food at your destination. My wife likes squid and read about an area in northern Kyushu that was known for unique squid preparations. We drove there and went to a restaurant listed in her brochure. If you Google Maps "
Kabe-shima Yobukocho Kabeshima Karatsu, Saga, Japan" you'll see where the island is.

By the way, driving there can be a challenge for folks coming from the US. Almost got us killed several times. I own a right-hand car in the states but it's still a challenge to drive on the other side of the road. GPS is absolutely mandatory if you want to get anywhere and of course having someone who can read Japanese is a big big plus. Hence, organized tours, which even the Japanese prefer, are probably the best way to go.
Wow, Kyushu really is South. I'll bet it's beautiful there. I spend most of my time in/and around Tokyo and Chiba prefecture. I'm with you on the driving around Japan-not for me. However, I was foolish enough to offer relief to our driver when we traveled to Guatemala; driving on mountain roads, in the rain, at speeds up to 70 (just to keep up) was a very bad-life experience...and that's coming from an X-Motocrosser.
I agree agree agree with the competent chef part!! Anyone who has eaten sushi only from a prep packaged deli (like California rolls in the grocery store) ... or that are already prepared sitting on a buffet ... bleh - that isn't good sushi! You gotta go to a good Japanese restaurant and order it where someone prepares it on the spot ... there just is no comparison. And I would say that 80% of the sushi I eat is cooked meat ... not raw ... most people thing sushi is raw fish - but not so! It is also a common misconception that it is expensive ... and generally I can get a good sushi meal with soup, salad, and a beer for $25

Now I am getting hungry!
+1
Throw some grill lines on a cow or deer n I'm there!!! :mrgreen:
+2 :cool:

Pragmatic, so jealous..as usual your food pic looks so yummy.

I personally prefer sashimi over sushi, but it has to be fresh. I love a nice fatty tuna slice dipped in soy with a little wasabi, if its a good grade of fish and fresh it almost melts in your mouth. Unfortunately I haven't found a good sushi place in Houston yet. I know there's Uchi and many other sushi restaurants but...I'm not a big sauce person and don't like all the mayo based sauces that they put on the sushi. Hubby's not a big fan of the raw fish...so I don't get to partake very often.

Pragmatic, your breakfast picture reminds me of my childhood :). A typical breakfast for me was a bowl of warm soup and rice...my friends thought it was strange that I didnt have cereal or eggs for breakfast. Interesting to see the cultural differences.

So hungry right now :).

Thank you for the compliments! The strange looks I get while snapping pics of my food no longer phase me :cool: This last trip to Japan was probably my best (regarding sashimi). I explored a bit on my own and found some really cool places. You're right, can't beat fresh with good quality. However, I do get the evil-eye as I soak my bites too long in soy!
I'm south of Houston so I have a few spots around Clear Lake for the Freshness; Michiru Sushi is #1 (great stop on the way to Galveston), followed by Masa Sushi & Tokyo Bowl (Nasa 1 & Bay Area). Regarding places in Houston; Can't go wrong with Sage 400 (near Galleria), but the next on my list is the new Fish & Knife. Now I'm hungry!!!

I prefer my food dead when I eat it. I am a hunter. I shoot to kill and not maim my dinner and eating something alive is just... unethical IMO. To each their own.

I have to agree. I eat many many things - sushi and sashimi being two of them (jelly fish, turtle, deer, bear, etc etc). If there is a reason to eat it live - such as an oyster, then sure I am all for it. But, eating something that is alive, just for the sake of eating it alive, that does not sit well with me. I have shot a phesant, wrang its neck, stood on the wings and pulled the legs to clean it (if you have ever done it, you know what I am referring to) and the cooked at ate the meat. No problems with that. It is "extra" suffering of keeping it alive that gets to me. As you said, to each their own.

I also don't consider sushi a delicacy, in the same way I don't consider steak a delicacy. They are both meals that I enjoy on a regular basis. Now certain sushi - toro, uni, etc. That is a delicacy, and my wallet can only afford so much.

I'm south of Houston so I have a few spots around Clear Lake for the Freshness; Michiru Sushi is #1 (great stop on the way to Galveston), followed by Masa Sushi & Tokyo Bowl (Nasa 1 & Bay Area). Regarding places in Houston; Can't go wrong with Sage 400 (near Galleria), but the next on my list is the new Fish & Knife. Now I'm hungry!!!

Next time we are in Clear Lake for our sailing adventure I will drag the Husband to these spot. I figured Clear Lake area would have better sushi places but its just a matter of finding them. Will check out MFSushi too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.