New member, new owner

ryker

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2014
Inverness Fl
Already been reading and searching your forum as a new owner of in-ground pool, very nice forum very informative. Have already read a lot of useful info. and comments. Thanks.

My pool just got finished. Reading here has gotten me to email the installers to see if the pool is being kept in it's state now on purpose because of the fresh state of the interior surface, so a very low ph and no chlorine by my test. The in pool cleaning system and shimmer are not being run or used, even though the pump is being run to circulate the water. What do you think, seems to me the water should be brought into norm right now? Hey, what do I know, I'm a rookie.

Welcome!

What surface ? Plaster / fibreglass / vinyl liner?

Because of warranty I would follow what the pool builder advises , but it's good that you're querying them , some could be a bit lax

Ahh nice one , I take it was an acid wash startup ?

See here - http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/154-start-up-new-pool-plaster

For the most common way to start up a fresh plaster pool , but your pool builder should really do this - check that they have done the initial acid wash and the water is ready to be balanced.

Then my recommendation is (if its an acid startup)-

Test water first if all to see what it needs with a good quality test kit ( tf100 / taylor k2006)

Add cal-stop / scale inhibitor

Wait for 48hrs before adding chlorine after fill , and either liquid chlorine or trichlor pucks (which also add cya- stabiliser ) , I would add 3-5ppm with no cya in there yet

Get the ph in the 7.2-7.6 mark ( first weeks it will tend to rise) check daily!
Get the total alkalinity to 80-120
Get Calcium harness to at least 150 if not 200 to begin with as this tends to rise over the first few weeks although not always, eventually after 4 week you should be at 250-300

And brush brush brush ! With a nylon brush twice a day for the first 2 weeks

Optional is a sequestering agent to avoid metal stains , preferably a hedp based one instead of edta based. ( I personally didn't add any because I wasn't using well water)

After 3 days I gradually added cya to initially get it to 30ppm, if its a salt water pool I would gradually increase it to 60-80 but go slow at first

And NO Salt for the first 28 days if its a salt chlorine generator

Welcome to the forum ryker :wave:

It sounds like they are doing acid startup. They should be in control of it and keep you posted. If you want to do the pool care, you need two things. Knowledge and a good test kit. Start with the ABCs in Pool School, and work on the rest as much as you can. The only kit I suggest for your pool type and size is the TF100.

Ask questions as you need too, and we'll be glad to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.