bf1967

May 22, 2007
SE WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was about to start building a custom reel for my solar cover when I came across this solar saddle. I traded my heavy cover for an 8 mil one so this could actually be useful. Thoughts?

8677.jpg

I saw it here: http://www.waterwarehouse.com/poolsuppl ... addle.html

Thanks,

Bob

Seems like a good solution if you have no where to put the cover while using the pool. I just roll mine up like a giant eggroll and put it in the shady spot on the deck. But if one were to not have a deck or have a very small one, this is handy....never saw that before.

I didn't use a solar cover much when I had one a few years ago because it was a PITA and then DH decided to cut it up and use it to insulate a dog box over the winter... :rant: Anyways, that's beside the point... I do however wanna try this product if I ever buy another solar cover.

I don't like the way the reels look. It just seems so bulky and would be in the way for me. I didn't like the egg rolled blanket on my deck either.

I read that the solar blanket shouldn't be put in a sunny area and if I ever do go this route, I assume that a piece of tarp would be okay to lay over top of the blanket so the :sun: doesn't beat on it?

Any solar cover guru's out there? :mrgreen:

OK. I found a site where I got this shipped for $70, so I figure it's worth a try. When I receive it I'll post my results. I found installation instructions online and the only potential problem I can see so far is they want you to drill through the top rails to mount the hooks. I'm not drilling any holes in my top rail :cry: . I think I can adapt to to attach to the top of my posts.

Bob

Hello,
I purchased a solar saddle 6 weeks ago and I love it. I have a 24 ft round pool AG and no good location for a reel system. The installation was easy, just drilling a few holes in the top rail of the pool. The large pvc hooks that hold the solar cover are removable, which is a nice feature. I used to take my cover off and it would get very dirty when it his the ground as I tried to fold it up and when I put it back on the pool that dirt would get into the pool. Now I just pull the cover off into the saddle. It stays clean. If there is any debris on the cover, I simply hose it off as I remove the cover. It takes about 4 minutes to remove the cover alone and there is no need to get in the pool. It takes about 3 minutes to put it back on and again there is no need to get in the pool.

I use my solar cover much more than I ever did simply because it is now no hassle at all. I would highly recommend it if you have a similar problem.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks for replying. Mine arrived last week and I haven't had a chance to install it yet. I took a look at the mounting bracket and it looks like it shouldn't be hard to mount it to the post using some angle brackets. I've been looking for some stainless steel ones so they won't rust. I'll post some pics of how I did it when I'm finished.

I'm glad to hear from someone who has used this successfully. Thanks!

Bob

I know this is last year's post...but I'm buying the solar saddle and would love to see how you mounted it...any pics would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

bf1967 said:
Hi Russ,

Thanks for replying. Mine arrived last week and I haven't had a chance to install it yet. I took a look at the mounting bracket and it looks like it shouldn't be hard to mount it to the post using some angle brackets. I've been looking for some stainless steel ones so they won't rust. I'll post some pics of how I did it when I'm finished.

I'm glad to hear from someone who has used this successfully. Thanks!

Bob

cthuskies,

Well, I wish I could show you, but unfortunately my busy schedule got in the way. I've decided to not drill thru the top rails, but instead I've made a template for a plate (made from sheet aluminum) that will secure to my posts and then attach to the u brackets. I'm planning on trying to mount it this week, so I'll make sure to take a bunch of photos. I'm pretty confident that it will work, but I guess that remains to be seen!

Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.