So what are you Smokin for the 4th?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I put on 5 racks of pork spare ribs an hour ago. The smoke is billowing, the neighbors are sniffin and it looks good too.

I use a Memphis style dry rub, let them sit overnight in the fridge and threw them on this AM. In about 3.5 hours I'll put them in a Texas Crutch to finish them off with some apple juice.

MMMMmmmm

Ribs dry rubbed with Famous Daves rub, potatoe salad, grilled veggies slathered in Italian dressing and watermellon for desert. Bells Oberon Beer with a slice of orange is our beverage of choice . Working tomorrow so it has to be an easy meal today. Dinner in 1/2 hr so I have to get the picnic table set up. Have a great 4 of July all! Kimrst

I fired up my new Grill Dome last night for the first time - put the brisket on around 11:30pm. I used lump charcoal and hickory chunks. I'm at work today, but my wife took it off this afternoon when the internal temp reached 193°F - about 14 hours cook time for about a 9lb brisket.

She said it's super tender - cuts with a fork. I'm pretty happy given this was my first attempt with the new grill. :chef: Now I've just got to get home before it's all gone. :shock:

Dave, I did not have any of my own rub mixed up so I bought one at HEB. I had my hand on Grub Rub but didn't get it because it contained tenderizer. I was concerned how that would effect the meat on such a long cook. Please let me know how you like it. I prefer making my own rub, but like to keep some back-up on hand.

Smoked four butts Wednesday night-Thursday morning. I used hickory as my smoke wood, and let them go for about 14 hours, till all were around 190 internal temp. Took them out of the smoker, wrapped them up in heavy duty foil, put them in a cooler to rest for another 2 hours, then hand-pulled the butts Thursday evening. Took 5 -6 lbs of pork, some of my finishing sauce, and a couple packs of buns up to the boys at the fire hall two doors down from us. Had some friends over today, and ate pulled pork, baked beans, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, fresh cut veggies, and chips. Spent the afternoon floating in the pool, and then had a piece of key lime pie for dessert. All in all, a pretty darned good day!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did the Canadian Open. So we cooked up 3 12lb brisket, 4 9 lb butts, 6 whole chickens and 15 racks of back ribs. :)

Though it was quite relaxing, we had a pool and tiki bar set up in our booth. :)

2008_0706BarrieBBQ0031.jpg

Molson said:
We did the Canadian Open. So we cooked up 3 12lb brisket, 4 9 lb butts, 6 whole chickens and 15 racks of back ribs. :)

Though it was quite relaxing, we had a pool and tiki bar set up in our booth. :)

2008_0706BarrieBBQ0031.jpg

Man, that looks incredibly fun!

SeanB said:
Dave, I did not have any of my own rub mixed up so I bought one at HEB. I had my hand on Grub Rub but didn't get it because it contained tenderizer. I was concerned how that would effect the meat on such a long cook. Please let me know how you like it. I prefer making my own rub, but like to keep some back-up on hand.

Sean,
The GrubRUB turned out to be excellent! Cooked the ribs for 3 hrs on the grill (gas, offset@300 degrees) and turned out GREAT! It's a brown sugar-based rub. I think it will be a good stock for your "back-up". I've used it on steaks also with good results :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.