Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So what are you Smokin for the 4th?

1. Back To Top    #1

So what are you Smokin for the 4th?

I put on 5 racks of pork spare ribs an hour ago. The smoke is billowing, the neighbors are sniffin and it looks good too.

I use a Memphis style dry rub, let them sit overnight in the fridge and threw them on this AM. In about 3.5 hours I'll put them in a Texas Crutch to finish them off with some apple juice.

MMMMmmmm
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So what are you Smokin for the 4th?

Ditto, spareribs. I used a new rub called Grub Rub recommended by my butcher guy. We'll see what happens.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

pot luck here ... 15 - 20 ppl coming
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ribs dry rubbed with Famous Daves rub, potatoe salad, grilled veggies slathered in Italian dressing and watermellon for desert. Bells Oberon Beer with a slice of orange is our beverage of choice . Working tomorrow so it has to be an easy meal today. Dinner in 1/2 hr so I have to get the picnic table set up. Have a great 4 of July all! Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I fired up my new Grill Dome last night for the first time - put the brisket on around 11:30pm. I used lump charcoal and hickory chunks. I'm at work today, but my wife took it off this afternoon when the internal temp reached 193°F - about 14 hours cook time for about a 9lb brisket.

She said it's super tender - cuts with a fork. I'm pretty happy given this was my first attempt with the new grill. Now I've just got to get home before it's all gone.

Dave, I did not have any of my own rub mixed up so I bought one at HEB. I had my hand on Grub Rub but didn't get it because it contained tenderizer. I was concerned how that would effect the meat on such a long cook. Please let me know how you like it. I prefer making my own rub, but like to keep some back-up on hand.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, you mean what MEAT are you smokin for the 4th!!!!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Hickory smoked pork tenderloin...with constant hickory barbecue added for flavor and juicyness...man it is good! :P
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

8. Back To Top    #8

I'd tell you ... but... the Feds might be lurking
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

we were slackers this 4th, with 5 kids and 7 adults I cheaped out and did brats and hot dogs but I've got a great 9lb pork but from the butcher in the freezer for the next big kids party
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

10. Back To Top    #10

Smoked four butts Wednesday night-Thursday morning. I used hickory as my smoke wood, and let them go for about 14 hours, till all were around 190 internal temp. Took them out of the smoker, wrapped them up in heavy duty foil, put them in a cooler to rest for another 2 hours, then hand-pulled the butts Thursday evening. Took 5 -6 lbs of pork, some of my finishing sauce, and a couple packs of buns up to the boys at the fire hall two doors down from us. Had some friends over today, and ate pulled pork, baked beans, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, fresh cut veggies, and chips. Spent the afternoon floating in the pool, and then had a piece of key lime pie for dessert. All in all, a pretty darned good day!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

11. Back To Top    #11

We did the Canadian Open. So we cooked up 3 12lb brisket, 4 9 lb butts, 6 whole chickens and 15 racks of back ribs.

Though it was quite relaxing, we had a pool and tiki bar set up in our booth.

40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Molson
    We did the Canadian Open. So we cooked up 3 12lb brisket, 4 9 lb butts, 6 whole chickens and 15 racks of back ribs.

Though it was quite relaxing, we had a pool and tiki bar set up in our booth.

Man, that looks incredibly fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    Dave, I did not have any of my own rub mixed up so I bought one at HEB. I had my hand on Grub Rub but didn't get it because it contained tenderizer. I was concerned how that would effect the meat on such a long cook. Please let me know how you like it. I prefer making my own rub, but like to keep some back-up on hand.
    Sean,
    The GrubRUB turned out to be excellent! Cooked the ribs for 3 hrs on the grill (gas, offset@300 degrees) and turned out GREAT! It's a brown sugar-based rub. I think it will be a good stock for your "back-up". I've used it on steaks also with good results
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits