Need recommendation for leaf catcher

tonto

Apr 27, 2014
California
I occasionally get heavy leaf accumulations in the bottom of the pool from nearby trees. Need recommendation for efficient removal other than just using a leaf rake. I understand there are two types of dedicated leaf catchers -- the kind that work on a garden hose using water pressure and the canisters that can be put in-line with the pool vacuum hose. What do experienced pool people recommend?
Tonto

I second the HaYWARD LEAF CLEANER. I bought one about a week ago, and have it inline with a Kreepy Krauly and it has been doing a great job catching everything the kreepy krauly sucks up. Well constructed. easy enough to clean out. Very impressed so far.

I am a fan of Kreepy Krauly too. I have a general question which might be a little elementary. Now, the regular pool filter system uses the skimmer baskets to filter large debris such as rocks, acorn, etc. Vaccuum systems such as Kreepy Krauly just sucks up everything to the pool filter (without going through a skimmer). Would this be a problem? You use a leaf canister and me too, but this doesn't seem to be a standard requirement/accessory for these systems. So do the manufacturers expect folks to just use them as is and let the debris all go thru the filter?

Vaccuum systems such as Kreepy Krauly just sucks up everything to the pool filter (without going through a skimmer). Would this be a problem?
My Kreep Krauly sucks everything into the basket that is at my pump - this stops larger debris from going into the filter. Do you not have such a basket?

When there are lots of leaves to cleanup, which for me is usually just at pool opening time, then you have to keep an eye out and clean the basket frequently. But through most of pool season I don't have to clean it very frequently - of course this will depend on the trees in and around your pool area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.