safety cover grommets

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
I remember seeing something about this, but can't find it now! I am going to redo the surface of my concrete pool deck with the Rustoleum Restore product. I know I've see somewhere that the anchors for the safety cover should be lubed for the summer so they will easily come up in the fall. My question is..with Vaseline or pool lube or WD-40? I want to do this before I use the Restore because I KNOW I will accidentally get some of that in one of those, no matter how hard I try! :)

Thank you!!

:bump: Okay...am I not wording it right so that you know what I'm talking about??? Here's a pic...

photo-1.jpg~original

Do these need pool lube or the like in/on them to keep them pliable for the fall closing?

Thanks!!

I take mine out and spray the threads with silicone when I open and close to make sure they turn easily. I haven't had a problem yet but it's cheap insurance. I don't know how Rustoleum!

Thank you! That's what I was talking about really... If the Rustoleum gets in it, it good bye...this stuff is like painting with Cream of Wheat! And then it dries to solid concrete. I've done well so far in keeping it out of the grommet. But, I'm wondering if I put some petroleum jelly on them if that would help if I do get some in there...kinda like when your painting doors, you use that on the door handles and get paint on the handle..the paint will come right off! The silicone sounds good though. Think I'll run with that.. Thanks for the quick response! :)

I use a product from the auto parts store called "Copper Kote" and I can turn most of mine by fingertips.
Hmm...interesting..okay...maybe I'll give that a shot. I know with silicone it does need to be reapplied every so often....at least it does on my sliding glass door and windows. Do you also need to reapply the "Copper Kote"? Is it similar to silicone or is it "thicker" for a lack of a better word...?

Look for some anti-seize, that is likely what the copper coat is. Just prevents metals from seizing together ... always good to use on dissimilar metals, but should work for this too.

I buy it at NAPA auto parts, and I re-apply it in the spring when the cover comes off. just back the anchors out and "paint" the threads. just a bit is plenty. if it starts to build up in the holes and impede the anchors going down flush, use an old toothbrush and clean it out a bit. and yes it is an anti-seize product with copper added to resist corrosion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I coat my pool deck, I screw the anchors down flush and then coat right over them. I pull them up as I coat and throw them in a container of thinner to clean them while I can still reach them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.