Stupid mistake...

Jul 4, 2008
I think I know what happened but I'm not sure how to fix it.

In an effort to please the wife (and get rid of algae *fast*) I used some algacide -- yep, I know better, but I've done it in the past without difficulties. The problem is that I used a different one this time (bought it by mistake) but it *did* say "anti-foaming for use in pools and spas".

Anyone want to guess? Yep, I've got a foaming pool now. The pool isn't too bad, except when the solar comes on, but there's no turning on the spa without it looking like wash day. Not only that, but the whole pool looks a little green (might just be this early morning, and the fact we had tons of rain the last few days).

Is there any way out of this short of draining the pool and starting all over? One thing for sure -- only bleach treatments from now on (assuming I can get this solved).

Hi, Welcome to TFP....

Here's a recent thread that may give you some clues....

white-foam-and-cloudy-water-t6778.html?hilit=foaming

If you could post test results, given your slightly green water, it could be a combo of algae and algaecide.

So if we had test results we could help you better. Especially your CH level. I think there is some relationship to calcium levels and reducing the foaming? If yours are low, that could be part of the problem, and adding some may reduce the foaming? Not sure.

So if you could post a complete set of test results and how you obtained them, and let us know all of your pool equipment (you can update your signature line in your "profile").

Welcome to TFP!

I made the same exact mistake last year before I learned about BBB.

Out of frustration, poured 2 gallons of algaecide without knowing any of the consequences.

Sure, a lot of dead algae resulted, but with foam everywhere. Looked like a giant bubble bath.

Had to scoop out tons of green dead algae floating around. Cartridge filter was working overtime collecting so much dead solids.

Took at least a week before the foam decreased somewhat. Finally shocked the right way with bleach and got things cleared up. Shocking it ate up all the foam in my case.

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, I'm almost sure I bought the wrong algacide. In any case, I'm shocking (with bleach) and am pretty confident it will be okay (the water turned out not to be green -- just early morning shadows).

Just won't be able to use the spa for a week or so <g>.

Hey M :wave: Welcome to TFP!! :)

Carl gave you good advice on PF which it sounds like you're following :goodjob:

Just thought I'd mention 1 good thing about the algaecide you used - if poured on spiders on the water's surface, they sink :twisted:

Good to see you here, hope all is well with the pool and automation - other than the foam :wink: :!:

Ted (aka - waste)

Thanks, Ted.

Yeah, I came by here after posting at our "other" pool place just in case no one was going to answer there (but, of course, I got the same answer there).

It's nice to have a new site (new to me :>) where new people can register -- still pretty weird about the other place and whatever the heck happened to the forum admin (did anyone ever find out?). As forum admin for two forums myself I often think about what would happen if (well, let's face it, when) I'm no longer around.

My pool has been just fine since I learned about pool chemistry the right way -- this was the first big mistake I've made in three years. But I sure learned my lesson.

Glad the pool is fine otherwise!

As forum admin for two forums myself I often think about what would happen if (well, let's face it, when) I'm no longer around.
If you have good mods, you can tell them the 'access codes' or whatever it takes to "admin' the forum - I honestly am computer illiterate so have NO idea what's involved - but having someone else able to administrate IF you can't is a good idea and I wish it had been done on PF!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.