Pool being filled Monday

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted for some time as I have been dealing with winter and now just finishing my pool. The pool will be plastered Monday and filled then. I am filling it with my garden hose and will then be putting in something called "Magic Jacks". Then the builder provides indoctination Thursday to go over maintenace and equipment.

I have to say, I'm overwhelmed already! I think a lot of people here are very experienced and have found their way. I am going to have to rely on the builders retail store for advise I think until I get more comfortable.

My question is what advise can you give me being that I'm new? For example, I think I read here before that I should really get a good tester. What kind and where would I get it? Any other advise and things I need?? Please realize I am a brand new pool owner and I can't go right into 5th gear....so, please don't offer me advise that only someone with years of experience would understand.

Thanks,
Doug
13,500 gunite, SWG, 1.5 Jandy pump, Jandy DE.

Your pool builder will have some rules for you to follow to maintain the warranty. Be sure you understand what you must do. Every PB loves to claim later problems were due to the owner not following warranty directions.

Get the TF100 and the speed stir to help with testing. You will be delighted with the both the test kit and the speed stir.

Follow the builder's directions for start up!

Read Pool School.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I need to follow the builder for a while until I know what I am doing. I just worry they are going to try and sell me chemicals that I don't need. The guy was helpful and spent a good 1/2 hour with me. Here are some things he said....from what I remember.

1) I'm always going to battling high pH because I'm salt and even more so the first several years because the plaster is new.
2) he HIGHLY recommended a mineral cartridge (I have a nature 2 fusion) to go with the salt because he says salt is great, but can have trouble when there is a higher demand to sanitize the pool and minerals will help out greatly.
3) He said my SWG is not good for shocking the pool and that I'll will need to buy some sort of powder there.....I don't know what it was, but they had buckets and buckets of it.
4) He said to go with muriatic acid to bring the pH down not the solid stuff.
5) He preferred the test strips for testing....but he did say the liquid testers are more accurate
6) He said I should target my pH at 7.2 because I'm salt and I'm always going to be battling high pH.

That's all I can remember.

I'll look at the testers and I'm not even going to wrap my head around my equipment right now....in which I have lot!

Actually not bad advice from what I've learned on here, do go with a good test kit and do not rely on strips. Honestly with the help of this forum I didn't have to shock my new pool last year at all, the SWG did its job and the pool was amazingly maintenance free. Pool school gave me the tools I needed to keep it that way.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I need to follow the builder for a while until I know what I am doing. I just worry they are going to try and sell me chemicals that I don't need.
Very perceptive. You have learned well, Grasshopper.
The guy was helpful and spent a good 1/2 hour with me. Here are some things he said....from what I remember.

1) I'm always going to battling high pH because I'm salt and even more so the first several years because the plaster is new.
The first year, yes, because of the plaster curing. But once you get things dialed in, it's not a battle, just another thirty seconds a week to add some acid.
2) he HIGHLY recommended a mineral cartridge (I have a nature 2 fusion) to go with the salt because he says salt is great, but can have trouble when there is a higher demand to sanitize the pool and minerals will help out greatly.
WRONG. The minerals will likely stain that new plaster. And turn blond hair green. Search nature2 or minerals using the search box for some firsthand experiences. Those mineral packs just add to the pool store bottom line.
3) He said my SWG is not good for shocking the pool and that I'll will need to buy some sort of powder there.....I don't know what it was, but they had buckets and buckets of it.
That is correct. SWG are made for maintenance, not shocking. But the powders will add either Calcium or Cyanuric acid. Just use bleach to boost FC before and after a big party. Many people here turn the percentage up a few hours before a party. Either way works.
Agree 100%.
5) He preferred the test strips for testing....but he did say the liquid testers are more accurate
If he knows the drops are more accurate, why would he use the strips? If the strips get old, you'd probably get just as accurate a reading by taking a mouthful of pool water and swishing it around. If you set the strip on the color plate to match colors, the water wicks between test pads and messes you up. Invest in a proper test kit. You've got so much money invested in that pool, why skimp on the one thing that will keep it looking like new?
6) He said I should target my pH at 7.2 because I'm salt and I'm always going to be battling high pH.

I'll look at the testers and I'm not even going to wrap my head around my equipment right now....in which I have lot!
Early on, maybe the first couple weeks, 7.2 is probably wise, because pH will climb rapidly. But once TA is settled to its sweet spot, you might find that your pool can go several days or a week between acid additions, in which case you can target something more like 7.4, which is closer to the pH of human tears. Easier on the eyes, if someone is sensitive.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I need to follow the builder for a while until I know what I am doing. I just worry they are going to try and sell me chemicals that I don't need. The guy was helpful and spent a good 1/2 hour with me. Here are some things he said....from what I remember.

I'm still fairly new to this (but my pool is perfect!) so you may want a second opinion.

1) Not sure about this one.
2) I think all of us here would HIGHLY recommend you don't get one! Also that nature2fusion thing... if you are putting trichlor pucks in it like they say on their website you will get too high a CYA (cyanuratic acid). I think we would recommend you don't use that either!
3) He is correct, a SWG can't generate enough chlorine on-demand to "shock" a pool. You don't need to buy their powder, regular bleach works just fine and is most likely cheaper. You also shouldn't ever need to "shock" it if you keep the chlorine at the right levels and a SWG will help with that immensely.
4) I'd agree there. Just keep your face away from it, lol.
5) At least he knows strips suck. Makes me wonder why he still uses them then...
6) 7.2 is too low. (http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/138-water-balance-for-swg-saltwater-chlorine-generator) You can look into adding borates to help control the PH. (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/4655-So-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-Why-and-How)

If I were dealing with him I'd kindly listen to what he has to say and nod along, but I'd come here first to check what he says since there is a lot I see wrong already...

EDIT: Richard beat me to it! Glad to see we have almost word-for-word responses to our questions though! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.