Question about CYA

Task

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2013
West Grove, PA
This will be the first summer of maintaining a pool for me. I've got a newly constructed pool and my CYA is at 0. I purchased an 8lb bucket of stabilizer, which should be enough to bring my CYA up to 50 according to pool math.
My question is, between backwashing, rain water and topping off the pool, how quickly will that CYA level become diluted to the point that I add more? Obviously I'll be monitoring the levels with my test kit, but I'm just wondering how much stabilizer I should be keeping on hand in reserve. 8lbs? 25lbs?, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my CYA lasted all season last year. It was 70 at opening (a bit high)

this year at opening it was 30.

and I have a lot of kids splashing water out of my pool and its in sun all day. I was loosing a couple hundred or so gallons per week due to evap and kids.

you might have to test and add mid-season, but not at all if no water loss.

A lot of people suggest you aim for 30 as your initial target, then wait a week and retest CYA...

Drops in CYA will be small, very very small. (unless you drain off significant amounts of water.) some people see disappearing CYA over winter, but during the swim season to my understanding drops are tiny, as it's not broken down.

Ok. I was going to shoot for 50 as my pool has absolutely no shade and will get a solid 10 hours of sun each day. So regardless of sunlight, I should initially shoot for 30 and then make minor adjustments as needed?
And so as an answer to my question, I really shouldn't have a need to keep much stabilizer in my garage as the drops in CYA will be so minor that I shouldn't have to add any this summer and at the very earliest, I might need to add some next spring when I open the pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at 50ppm last year because my pool is in full sun from 8am-9pm. Like your pool, it gets 100% full sun. I didn't lose much CYA because we installed late and it checked out at 40ppm CYA upon opening this year. I'm not raising it for now and I'll monitor it over the summer. I'll run a full set of test monthly just to see where I am and if anything needs tweaked like CYA or TA. I run chlorine and pH test daily to every other day. I think it's good practice to check all parameters monthly, especially in rainy months where you're dumping water because the pool is over flowing. It's been raining a lot here the last week. I know last year, half of June and July was nothing but rain! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.